Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2012 Severne Reflex 3

Created by Bender > 9 months ago, 26 Feb 2012
Bender
WA, 2136 posts
26 Feb 2012 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

I have had my new set of Reflex's since early Jan this year. I have the 6.2m, 7.0m and a 7.8m.
Here are my findings so far. I have used the 7.8m heaps and the 7.0m 3 times, twice in the last three days.
The first thing I noticed is that they rig straight out of the bag with no wrinkle what so ever, and they look very clean and well built. They rig the same as most modern day race sails. Sleeve mast on top of the cams, downhaul till the mast is visible in the boom cut out, fix boom, out haul and pop on the cams and fully down haul.
The reflex3 rigs with loads of draft below the boom which can be increase with added tack strap tension (I tend to always have max tension). The sail has a nice even twist all the way along the leach.
On the water the first thing I noticed was how light the sail feels, even just carrying it to the waters edge they feel light. Once up and planning they deliver power very smoothly they accelerate like a stolen car in a high speed pursuit. The bottom end is really good with the sail developing lots of pull to get you up and away. The top end is impressive. So far I had had the 7.8m to a peak of 36.9knts. The stability in the sails upper wind range is unreal. The day I got the 7.8m to nearly 37knts it was gusting to 25knts and it didn't feel like I had to change down. I have only had a few sessions on the 7.0m but so far it feels very (max so far of 34knts) slippery with no limit on its top end.
I rig them on the severne mast. Here are some pics of the 7.0m

seanhogan
3203 posts
27 Feb 2012 5:06AM
Thumbs Up

Nice kit, love the xfire !

But is that a MFC fin ???

Bender
WA, 2136 posts
27 Feb 2012 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

seanhogan said...

Nice kit, love the xfire !

But is that a MFC fin ???

Nah a techtonic Falcon

bushfire
NSW, 292 posts
27 Feb 2012 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Good review Bender. We have the R3 12 & 9.6 on the formula kit and are very impressed with their performance - the best Reflexes yet and helping to push us up the rankings.

shinobi
148 posts
27 Feb 2012 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bushfire,
how is the 9.6?
My should arrive in the second week of March and should be used on the iSonic 127 shortly. Any setting tips, especially for the down tension?
~Shinobi

Shane
WA, 202 posts
27 Feb 2012 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

I agree- The Reflex IIIs are very easy to rig, with amazing performance and effortless rotation.

bushfire
NSW, 292 posts
29 Feb 2012 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Shinobi,

I've done nothing special with the 9.6m sail. It sets beautifully on the 490 Enigma mast with great twist and good depth down low, with very little wrinkling, at the recommended downhaul settings. You may have to play around with some inducer spacers to optimise the luff pocket, but that is normal. Rotation of the inducers is good - better than the R2's. As said before, it is used on a SB 167W formula board, and I think there shouldn't be a problem on a "largish" slalom board.
Good luck and I'm sure you will have heaps of fun with this sail

Bender
WA, 2136 posts
1 Mar 2012 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Here are some pics of the reflex3 7.0m in action on my Carbon art SP50 and 102x-fire until the wind died

izymiester
WA, 302 posts
1 Mar 2012 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Shane at Port Beach Sunday the 26th Feb 2012

boardboy
QLD, 554 posts
2 Mar 2012 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

i picked up a 7.8 reflex III this week.
Ive noticed it puts a bit of downforce on the board - anyone noticed?
Im thinkin ill shift footstraps back and move further back with the mast track.
Anyone had good results doing this?

Bender
WA, 2136 posts
2 Mar 2012 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

boardboy said...

i picked up a 7.8 reflex III this week.
Ive noticed it puts a bit of downforce on the board - anyone noticed?
Im thinkin ill shift footstraps back and move further back with the mast track.
Anyone had good results doing this?

Boardboy try 10mm more downhaul that may do the trick. Most of the time i have my boom high and the mast in the back half of the track. it gets the board flying nicely

boardboy
QLD, 554 posts
2 Mar 2012 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

thanks Bender - illl give it a crack.

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
2 Mar 2012 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

The last pic of Shane makes me want to sail in the ocean again. Had a go for 10-15 minutes last weekend of the 7.8m Relex 111 with I-sonic 107 and 38 fireblade fin.

A bit disappointed with the board,nothing special,sat a bit low in the water,not nearly as fast as my 90 litre i-sonic. The Reflex 3 did feel much improved over previous years,luff felt very tight and controllable,shame it was rigged with not enough downhaul which might explain the board sitting low in the water.

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
2 Mar 2012 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

boardboy said...

Indeed you might
The mast that is

bigdog
WA, 73 posts
6 Mar 2012 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

how many masts do you own , the question is

boardboy
QLD, 554 posts
7 Mar 2012 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

yeah more donwhaul did the trick, as well as some minor adjustments on those cam thingos.
quite happy with the sail now.

Im not using the troublesome enigma masts do no dramas with breakages.

boardboy
QLD, 554 posts
12 Mar 2012 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

tried rigging with the severne race base on the weekend - what a difference that makes to rigging! so much easier. The sail has a 4 pully system and is rotated 90 degrees to normal. The leverage you get with this system with the correct base makes applying the correct amount of downforce a breeze.
Sail went a lot better on the weekend... very happy now.

col5555
WA, 330 posts
12 Mar 2012 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

boardboy said...

yeah more donwhaul did the trick, as well as some minor adjustments on those cam thingos.

What mast are you using ??

Bender
WA, 2136 posts
12 Mar 2012 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

boardboy said...

tried rigging with the severne race base on the weekend - what a difference that makes to rigging! so much easier. The sail has a 4 pully system and is rotated 90 degrees to normal. The leverage you get with this system with the correct base makes applying the correct amount of downforce a breeze.
Sail went a lot better on the weekend... very happy now.

Yes when i first got my new severnes i rigged them on my old NP base and it just didnt work. i traded them on the Severne ones with the 4 pulleys they really make downhauling much easier

boardboy
QLD, 554 posts
12 Mar 2012 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

col5555 said...

boardboy said...

What mast are you using ??

using north masts. the rig and sail nicely.

nauli
WA, 37 posts
14 Mar 2012 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Paul Kelf said...

boardboy said...

Indeed you might
The mast that is

No comment!

Hooksey
WA, 530 posts
17 Mar 2012 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

has anyone compared the RIII to the 2012 KA Koncept?

mr love
VIC, 1957 posts
17 Mar 2012 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hooksey, a better comparison would be KaRace to an RIII. Overdrive is more a contempory of Koncept.

recycle
WA, 73 posts
18 Mar 2012 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

Will be comparing some TR8's with the above soon

Spokas
7 posts
4 Apr 2012 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Just received my new Reflex'es 3 .
I am changing my sails this year so I bought 12.0,10.7,9.6 for formula and 7.8 for slalom with Enigma masts.
Do you use recommended downhaul settings?I see advice here to use 10mm more for 7.8.Need advice on setup for formula sizes?
Which mast for 10.7 - 550/34 or 530/32?

Shane
WA, 202 posts
7 Apr 2012 2:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Spokas,

I can't comment on the fomula sizes but I have found that the 6.2, 7.0, 7.8 and 8.6 Reflex IIIs all rig very nicely on their recommended settings. I have experimented with a little more/less downhaul but the best acceleration/gust response for me can be acheived when the sail is rigged right on the specifications.

lefthanders
WA, 22 posts
25 Apr 2012 2:29AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome start to 2012 PWA competition for Severne Reflex III's at Reggio Calabria World Cup!

izymiester
WA, 302 posts
25 Apr 2012 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

The Terminator is back! With the RIII's

Steve Allen was also smoking it but got a PMS

Karin Jaggi leads the women's fleet

Albeau has no chance of catching Dunky.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Severne Reflex 3" started by Bender