Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2018 Quatro Pymarid 96

Created by Rob0104 > 9 months ago, 15 May 2018
Rob0104
89 posts
15 May 2018 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, going to share my early views of my new Pyramid 96. The background to buy it was given on the Supermini review so I wont bore you with that again.
Firstly this board is not essential for me as my 103 mini and 85 cube are capable of covering just about all conditions I sail from onshore to cross off, 3.7 - 5.7 sail size. So why get it. Well I sail every chance I get, cycle a bit go to the gym occasionally, all to keep in some sort of decent shape for those classic down the line wave days, the mini and cube are both great but there is nothing to beat the feel and grip of a dedicated wave board when you bear off down a nice wave. So enter the Pyramid.
Looking at the board it has little in common with the wider style multi fin boards I've come to know and love. Its a bit longer, a bit narrower and is a throwback to older single fin wave boards in its outline. Lacking the rectangular parallel shape that most stubby and a lot of boards have I was glad I went for the 96, I weigh 88kg, as I want to spend more time sailing and less sinking or getting mullered. The back strap is further back than any other wave board I've sailed in relation to fin position, the tail is fairly narrow so on first inspection this is a fast looking board.
So how does it sail, getting going is a bit more committed than my mini and cube, however as soon as it gets going acceleration is really good and top end is a lot more than either mini or cube. Getting over shore break I'm thankful of the extra volume if I'm not fully powered up. If fully powered it will jump or go over anything (within reason) .I really like the feel it has hitting a ramp and it jumps really well, in the air its extremely easy to control and land , big air and rotations will only be limited by my ability but this is a board which you will want to test your limits.
Up wind it points really well, it does feel a bit wilder through chop than the cube or mini but nothing to worry about. Gybing I have to be a bit more precise with foot placement and timing but this is to be expected with the narrower tail, the extra speed going in helps though.
Which brings me to wave riding. As soon as you bear off on the wave face the board comes alive, accelerating into the bottom turn with so much grip it makes you want to hit the lip vertically and rip back down again. Believe me this is a totally thoroughbred DTL board. Quatro claim the channels running down the tail give extra speed, I'd say mission accomplished. The speed and grip this board offers give me serious confidence on the wave face. Another plus is as the waves get bigger the board gets better. Hitting the lip vertically the board snaps round back down the wave at speer, hit at an angle and it just wants to take off. I know I bought this board as a guilty pleasure, but having sailed it in waves up to logo high I feel no guilt whatsoever.
I haven't tried it on my 3.7 , 4.2 or 5.7, but I think with a 17 centre fin it should cope with stronger winds . The 19 supplied will hopefully be fine with the 5.7.
Who should buy one, anyone who lives to sail proper waves .Is it a do all wave board, if you're a quality sailor it will work in any conditions. If you like sailing around and want to have fun on an easy to sail board which will handle all wave conditions then the mini or cube would be a better bet.
I'll keep you posted if I have anything to add as I get to know the board better.
PS Thanks Pascal for the advice getting it setup.

Flying Dutchman
WA, 1329 posts
16 May 2018 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review Rob, board sounds epic!

northy1
430 posts
17 May 2018 3:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rob0104 said..
Hi all, going to share my early views of my new Pyramid 96. The background to buy it was given on the Supermini review so I wont bore you with that again.
Firstly this board is not essential for me as my 103 mini and 85 cube are capable of covering just about all conditions I sail from onshore to cross off, 3.7 - 5.7 sail size. So why get it. Well I sail every chance I get, cycle a bit go to the gym occasionally, all to keep in some sort of decent shape for those classic down the line wave days, the mini and cube are both great but there is nothing to beat the feel and grip of a dedicated wave board when you bear off down a nice wave. So enter the Pyramid.
Looking at the board it has little in common with the wider style multi fin boards I've come to know and love. Its a bit longer, a bit narrower and is a throwback to older single fin wave boards in its outline. Lacking the rectangular parallel shape that most stubby and a lot of boards have I was glad I went for the 96, I weigh 88kg, as I want to spend more time sailing and less sinking or getting mullered. The back strap is further back than any other wave board I've sailed in relation to fin position, the tail is fairly narrow so on first inspection this is a fast looking board.
So how does it sail, getting going is a bit more committed than my mini and cube, however as soon as it gets going acceleration is really good and top end is a lot more than either mini or cube. Getting over shore break I'm thankful of the extra volume if I'm not fully powered up. If fully powered it will jump or go over anything (within reason) .I really like the feel it has hitting a ramp and it jumps really well, in the air its extremely easy to control and land , big air and rotations will only be limited by my ability but this is a board which you will want to test your limits.
Up wind it points really well, it does feel a bit wilder through chop than the cube or mini but nothing to worry about. Gybing I have to be a bit more precise with foot placement and timing but this is to be expected with the narrower tail, the extra speed going in helps though.
Which brings me to wave riding. As soon as you bear off on the wave face the board comes alive, accelerating into the bottom turn with so much grip it makes you want to hit the lip vertically and rip back down again. Believe me this is a totally thoroughbred DTL board. Quatro claim the channels running down the tail give extra speed, I'd say mission accomplished. The speed and grip this board offers give me serious confidence on the wave face. Another plus is as the waves get bigger the board gets better. Hitting the lip vertically the board snaps round back down the wave at speer, hit at an angle and it just wants to take off. I know I bought this board as a guilty pleasure, but having sailed it in waves up to logo high I feel no guilt whatsoever.
I haven't tried it on my 3.7 , 4.2 or 5.7, but I think with a 17 centre fin it should cope with stronger winds . The 19 supplied will hopefully be fine with the 5.7.
Who should buy one, anyone who lives to sail proper waves .Is it a do all wave board, if you're a quality sailor it will work in any conditions. If you like sailing around and want to have fun on an easy to sail board which will handle all wave conditions then the mini or cube would be a better bet.
I'll keep you posted if I have anything to add as I get to know the board better.
PS Thanks Pascal for the advice getting it setup.

ive been considering one of these for ages....head says no - its only 58cm wide...heart says yum yum! But im still worried @ 90-92kg its too small and too narrow to support me - for those light wind cross off days when you need the extra float.

Rob0104
89 posts
17 May 2018 4:58AM
Thumbs Up

hi northy, I don't think it would do as a float and ride for you, the 104 cube or the Goya quad would be more suitable and better in lighter days. The pyramid defiantly prefers solid wind
cheers rob

seabreezer
377 posts
17 May 2018 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

cheers review Rob , did you ever sail last 2 incarnates of pyramid ? and if so how'd they compare ? as rocker has got faster and faster apparantly (With the rearward movement of stance / less swallowtail etc) , these 2018's meant to be quite a fast rocker ...

Rob0104
89 posts
17 May 2018 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi seabreezer, haven't sailed them , can confirm this is a fast board but still has a lot of control

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
31 Jul 2018 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Rob, how do you think it stacks up in terms of early planing. I know this isn't usually their strong suit, but I have read a few test articles that say it has improved in this area compared to previous years and is pretty lively and planes up comparatively quicker. How have you found it? and how does it compare to the Mini or Cube -knowing from experience both of those plane quite early.

Cheers

by the way, I've got an 83litre on order for the new season for those epic days, Can't wait!!!

Rob0104
89 posts
30 Aug 2018 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bigdaz, compared to stubby type boards , the mini or cube it needs a bit more work to get the Pyramid planning. However in my experience with older single fin DTL wave boards it does preform well with the added plus of being more radical , grippier and faster on the wave.
Good luck with your 83. It'll rip on those big days.
Rob

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
31 Aug 2018 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rob0104 said..
Hi Bigdaz, compared to stubby type boards , the mini or cube it needs a bit more work to get the Pyramid planning. However in my experience with older single fin DTL wave boards it does preform well with the added plus of being more radical , grippier and faster on the wave.
Good luck with your 83. It'll rip on those big days.
Rob

Cheers Rob, now it's just the waiting game - can't wait for it to turn up!!!!!

Rob0104
89 posts
30 May 2019 3:36AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, thought I would add a few comments on the pyramid. As I've got to know this board a bit better it's definitely a board that needs a lot of commitment. I've switched the centre fin to a K4 20cm scorcher and moved the mast track about 15mm back from centre. Performance wise the fin seems to make the board plane a bit easier but the bigger fin doesn't compromise the boards wave riding ability. The mast base further back also seems to improve board speed on the bottom turn and carry through better to the top turn. I'm also using K4 fins on my Supermini and 85 quad, given the price of the supplied MFC fins I'll probably look at buying any new Quatro's without fins, they preform great but personally I feel the cheaper K4's are at least as good.
Apparently For 2020 the new pyramid will be very extreme, more in line with shapes that Keith and Levi would sail. Personally I don't think I would want my DTL board to be any more extreme than the 2018/19 version. Fitness and ability wise the pyramid I have is as extreme as I can handle. It'll be interesting to see the 2020 board and how the public reacts.

seabreezer
377 posts
3 Jun 2019 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Quick note - I wouldn't class Levi's boards as 'extreme' - he likes a drivier rocker for more spray / resistance / power turns .... Ive got an older quatro custom based on Levi's shape at the time - best board Ive ever owned , on another level from productions etc - and makes you realise the feedback from Levi , and how thats interpreted by KT - makes a dream team combination ...... its totally dependable in every situation , loose enough , but still lots of drive for committed body angles / pushing hard .... and a fairly 'allround ' sideshore design I would say - still fairly quick around the block etc ... but just unbelievably 'smooth' in how it handles everything .... Ive had it full pelt on super fast big mast plus walls , and at the end of the session noticing how it did everything without even the hint of a glitch , or rail fold , or strange moment ....

Also have a custom with a more KT rocker - his boards are more extreme imo .... a bit too turny sometimes .... ie lose drive too quickly if your not REALLY powered up and committed ... or if you commit too hard with too much body language it can also struggle to 'push back' enough .... but when Im totally toally stacked , the KT rocker is a dream .... you can pinch turns off when other boards just buckle under so much power ...

Really interested in this 2020 pyramid - if it is at long last a 'true Levi style board similar to what he rides everyday I would be very tempted ... But also remember , with new style shaping dynamics with shorter tails / everything set back on the board and tri-fin pivot - it wouldn't take a lot of rocker to 'extreme it up' vs todays VERY fast rockered shapes , the shapes now pivot so good on that bigger rear ... that a moderate bit of tail kick etc really changes the game more than shapes of the past ...

Rob0104
89 posts
7 Jun 2019 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
Quick note - I wouldn't class Levi's boards as 'extreme' - he likes a drivier rocker for more spray / resistance / power turns .... Ive got an older quatro custom based on Levi's shape at the time - best board Ive ever owned , on another level from productions etc - and makes you realise the feedback from Levi , and how thats interpreted by KT - makes a dream team combination ...... its totally dependable in every situation , loose enough , but still lots of drive for committed body angles / pushing hard .... and a fairly 'allround ' sideshore design I would say - still fairly quick around the block etc ... but just unbelievably 'smooth' in how it handles everything .... Ive had it full pelt on super fast big mast plus walls , and at the end of the session noticing how it did everything without even the hint of a glitch , or rail fold , or strange moment ....

Also have a custom with a more KT rocker - his boards are more extreme imo .... a bit too turny sometimes .... ie lose drive too quickly if your not REALLY powered up and committed ... or if you commit too hard with too much body language it can also struggle to 'push back' enough .... but when Im totally toally stacked , the KT rocker is a dream .... you can pinch turns off when other boards just buckle under so much power ...

Really interested in this 2020 pyramid - if it is at long last a 'true Levi style board similar to what he rides everyday I would be very tempted ... But also remember , with new style shaping dynamics with shorter tails / everything set back on the board and tri-fin pivot - it wouldn't take a lot of rocker to 'extreme it up' vs todays VERY fast rockered shapes , the shapes now pivot so good on that bigger rear ... that a moderate bit of tail kick etc really changes the game more than shapes of the past ...

Hi seabteezer, I double checked re the 2020 Pyramid, apparently its more of a KT style. When making custom boards for customers one of the most popular requirements is to shape the board like Keith would for his personal use. With this in mind he has based the 2020 Pyramid around these requirements. This is simply what I've been told , don't take it as gospel. Time will tell if it's the case or just speculation.
When I say the 2019 Pyramid or any other incarnation of the board is extreme, I simply mean in comparison to say the supermini or other easy / fun to sail boards. My current quiver 103 mini, 96 Pyramid and 85 quad are all very different to sail on, and in my experience the Pyramid requires the most commitment and technique to get the most out of it. I've never sailed any of the other versions of the pyramid, but apparently the 2018/19 is the most user friendly one made. For an experienced sailor like yourself the more wave oriented the board is the better, and your level is probably the target buyer Quatro are aiming at if the 2020 incarnation is a KT personal style.
For me I'm very happy with the Pyramid I have. Quatro have always made great wave boards and I'm looking forward to seeing the 2020 range, although no supermini in the lineup. Perhaps they are dropping the mini, shame if they do as it's a great board to sail.

gorgesailor
598 posts
8 Jun 2019 1:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rob0104 said..

seabreezer said..

Hi seabteezer, I double checked re the 2020 Pyramid, apparently its more of a KT style. When making custom boards for customers one of the most popular requirements is to shape the board like Keith would for his personal use. With this in mind he has based the 2020 Pyramid around these requirements. This is simply what I've been told , don't take it as gospel. Time will tell if it's the case or just speculation.
When I say the 2019 Pyramid or any other incarnation of the board is extreme, I simply mean in comparison to say the supermini or other easy / fun to sail boards. My current quiver 103 mini, 96 Pyramid and 85 quad are all very different to sail on, and in my experience the Pyramid requires the most commitment and technique to get the most out of it. I've never sailed any of the other versions of the pyramid, but apparently the 2018/19 is the most user friendly one made. For an experienced sailor like yourself the more wave oriented the board is the better, and your level is probably the target buyer Quatro are aiming at if the 2020 incarnation is a KT personal style.
For me I'm very happy with the Pyramid I have. Quatro have always made great wave boards and I'm looking forward to seeing the 2020 range, although no supermini in the lineup. Perhaps they are dropping the mini, shame if they do as it's a great board to sail.

Haven't seen any specs yet but it looks like possibly the "Power" may take on more of the character of the Supermini? They were getting close last year but never got to sail the Power so don't know how it compares...

Rob0104
89 posts
8 Jun 2019 4:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gorgesailor said..

Rob0104 said..

seabreezer said..

Haven't seen any specs yet but it looks like possibly the "Power" may take on more of the character of the Supermini? They were getting close last year but never got to sail the Power so don't know how it compares...

Hi gorgesailor, rumour has it that quatro have decided to only make production boards that will be used on the pro tour meaning no supermini. I haven't sailed the power either, I'm not sure if there is even one in Ireland. Anyone out there with any sailing time on the power would love to hear your thoughts.

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
14 Jun 2019 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

Surf Sail Australia are now taking orders on the 2020 range of Quatro and Goya and have the specs online. It doesn't sound to me that the Pyramid is any more "extreme" than last year, just more tweaks in the search for earlier planing, more speed, while still maintaining awesome turns etc... sounds good to me. The specs on the 2019 83 and the 2020 82 are almost identical, just a shift in carrying a slightly more parallel outline maintaining a bit more width further forward and a new bottom contour - also the range has changed with sizes, dropping the 96 to a 92 as the largest size being the biggest change. Anyway have a read and judge for yourself. I think I'm very close to ordering the new 92 as my light wind board to compliment my 2019 83

www.surfsailaustralia.com.au/post/goya-quatro-2020-windsurf-boards

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
16 Jun 2019 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigdaz said..
I think I'm very close to ordering the new 92 as my light wind board to compliment my 2019 83

I just pulled the trigger and Pre-ordered the 92L Pyramid. Can't wait, it looks epic!!!

Rob0104
89 posts
18 Jun 2019 1:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigdaz said..

bigdaz said..
I think I'm very close to ordering the new 92 as my light wind board to compliment my 2019 83

I just pulled the trigger and Pre-ordered the 92L Pyramid. Can't wait, it looks epic!!!

Hi Daz, the red does look epic, I'm look forward to getting your opinion on it. I'm tempted to upgrade my 85 cube.
rob

bigdaz
NSW, 323 posts
4 Sep 2019 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Just some more thoughts on my Pyramid.
After what has felt like a windless eternity, there was finally a bit of breeze to compliment some nice 3ft swell the other day hitting a local reef perfectly. Took out my 83 Pyramid (2018/19) Wind was ranging between float n ride and planing. I have to say I have been really impressed with how quickly this gets planing for a reasonably hard core DTL board and the top end has been surprisingly quick as well compared to other wave boards. But the best thing about this board is how it turns!!!! Bottom turns are amazing with full commitment and full confidence you can dig as deep as you like and aim it as hi as you want on the way up - fine tuning and redirecting instantly, and the gouging top turn leaves me grinning from ear to ear. Hands down this is the best board I have ever owned and I am frothing to pick up my 2020 92L as its light wind sibling. It's fair to say I'm pretty stoked!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2018 Quatro Pymarid 96" started by Rob0104