Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2020 Goya 3+ 4 fin

Created by Rob0104 > 9 months ago, 12 Jul 2019
Rob0104
61 posts
12 Jul 2019 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Some pictures of the new Goya 3+4, I'll get more information from the guys at the centre and post when I have it.
First impression is the 4 looks great and is definitely a bit wider than before, the narrow previous version seemed to divide opinion a bit. Hope you like the photos
cheers Rob

northy1
219 posts
12 Jul 2019 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Rob! i am debating the Quad 104 vs Thruster 106 as my next big (light wind) wave board @ 87kg - will have to try em when they land in UK

Rob0104
61 posts
13 Jul 2019 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
northy1 said..
Cheers Rob! i am debating the Quad 104 vs Thruster 106 as my next big (light wind) wave board @ 87kg - will have to try em when they land in UK

Hi northy1, what conditions do you mainly sail, Dylan or onshore

Rob0104
61 posts
13 Jul 2019 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rob0104 said..

northy1 said..

Hi northy1, what conditions do you mainly sail, DTL or onshore

northy1
219 posts
15 Jul 2019 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

a mix of each - but historically ive had quad and twins and all thrusters have felt a bit stiff to me eg i really did not like the Fanatic tri wave 103

i appreciate for light winds and a mix of conditions the answer should be the thruster...but as said i always prefered quads. Need to see / compare what you lose and gain in each ie how loose and good for DTLis the thruster vs how sticky is the quad

Rob0104
61 posts
23 Jul 2019 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, I spoke with a maheroraty local Brendan Hone, he and another local legend Ben George were recently in Pozo and had a chance to try all 4 boards pictured, the 2 Goya's and Quatro's. In their opinion they both preferred the new Goya 4. Both these guys aren't swayed by any factor other than performance. The conditions were obviously cross on being in Pozo so no feedback for cross off. Interestingly they felt the new Quatro cube was not as 'wavey' as previous incarnations , time will tell if this is indeed the case.
Watch this space as I hope to try the new Goya 4 in the next month or 2.

northy1
219 posts
23 Jul 2019 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Rob - sounds good - and the Quad 4 looks better as well!

AlexF
274 posts
23 Jul 2019 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rob0104 said..
Hi all, I spoke with a maheroraty local Brendan Hone, he and another local legend Ben George were recently in Pozo and had a chance to try all 4 boards pictured, the 2 Goya's and Quatro's. In their opinion they both preferred the new Goya 4. Both these guys aren't swayed by any factor other than performance. The conditions were obviously cross on being in Pozo so no feedback for cross off. Interestingly they felt the new Quatro cube was not as 'wavey' as previous incarnations , time will tell if this is indeed the case.
Watch this space as I hope to try the new Goya 4 in the next month or 2.

What do they think about the Goya 3 ?

Rob0104
61 posts
25 Jul 2019 5:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, neither had much to say about the '3' , but then they weren't doing a proper test, simply trying the hire gear before settling on their preferred board. Please note while both are competent sailors albeit one at the upper end of intermediate level. I am trying to get more information and I'll post as I have it. Anyone with any personal sailing experience on any of these boards please share your thoughts.

russh
SA, 2953 posts
1 Aug 2019 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Had the 2019 custom thruster 93 for a while now and it is an early planing stable wave riding dream board for a huge range of conditions.
If you don't get 30+ knt Pozo conditions - more like 15-maybe 25 cross shore waves - I think the thruster would definitely be worth a look
And if you can't turn it it's not the board!!!!

Rob0104
61 posts
9 Aug 2019 5:21AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry about the delay, Goya 3 first. According to my source, whilst being a good all rounder it definitely leans towards onshore conditions. This is mainly due to its early planing ability not to mention speed. While similar to previous versions Goya like Quatro in their all rounder seem to have went all out to make early planing a priority, being heavier I do like early planing boards so it'll be interesting to compare a similar volume '3' to my 103 super mini.
The 4, and this seems to be a theme with everyone I've spoken to who has sailed one is just really nice to sail, while slower to plane it's not sticky. The extra width doing its job both getting and keeping it planing. Again while being a good all rounder it would be more of a cross off board than the '3'. Speed wise not as fast as the previous version but it'll be interesting to see if the extra width means getting going on a lower volume board. As I mentioned before last years narrow Goya 4 divided opinion as sailors were generally having to go up a size. Time will tell if the new version is as radical on the wave face as the 2019 version.
i hope to get a sail on the 4 soon. Watch this space for more info'.

Al1
30 posts
9 Aug 2019 6:41AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info Rob.

About the new 3 , you mention it to be a fast allrounder with an onshore bias.
The owners of the 2018/2019 thruster said it was just that, a fast allrounder, but with sufficient carving potential to have fun in side to sideoff, just more back foot than the quad.
And then the marketing blurb for the new Custom3 says it has a bit more tail kick and is more surfy than the previous version.
So does your source confirm that the new 3 has a bit more carving potential in sideshore than the 2019 ?

Rob0104
61 posts
10 Aug 2019 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Al1 said..
Thanks for the info Rob.

About the new 3 , you mention it to be a fast allrounder with an onshore bias.
The owners of the 2018/2019 thruster said it was just that, a fast allrounder, but with sufficient carving potential to have fun in side to sideoff, just more back foot than the quad.
And then the marketing blurb for the new Custom3 says it has a bit more tail kick and is more surfy than the previous version.
So does your source confirm that the new 3 has a bit more carving potential in sideshore than the 2019 ?

Hi, Tarifa isn't really the sailing spot to truly test tail kick, until we have more independent info we'll have to take Goya's word on it, although they are usually fairly reliable with their description

northy1
219 posts
4 Sep 2019 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

just had the Goya 3 106 litre for a few days - used it twice (im about 87kg). Only used in cross on with 5.3 and 5.7m.

First thing to note (coming off the likes of a Mistral Twinny, or Starby quad or fanatic quad) is it feels FFFFast - really has lots of early planing capability...felt like a rocket!

However, i did feel it was a little bit "stiff" or big turning it (onshore backside) to me - compared to what im used to...and to me that is the dilemma. i then looked at the board compared to my mistral 92...and its clear the tail is wider (id say 2cm ofo) and also thicker...there is a lot of volume packed into the rear 1/3 of the board.

I then had the chance to look at the board next to a 2019 version (thruster 105)...and to my untrained eyes (sometimes hard to tell with graphics right) it looked like Goya have removed a lot of thickness from the hips/mid of the board from the 2019 version but fleshed out the tail depth in the 2020. So the area from between the straps and back looked a lot thicker on the new one to me.

And if you look at the rail profile and tail thickness compared to something like my Fanatic Quad 89 (i know its a smaller!), there is a massive difference..way way thicker.

Have they have borrowed some ideas (thickness in tail?) from the mini thruster maybe? I know someone who is a bit bigger than me (95kg?) and they seemed to love the new 106 - especially its get up and go.
And clearly the smaller sizes work (see Browzino etc)...but to me it wasnt an immediate "love at first sight".

For me, i think the smaller model (98?) might be a better fit....or perhaps the Quad, which is perhaps my better fit anyway. However i see the 2020 104 quad is even wider in the tail (a massive 41cm ofo!?) that really puts me off (on paper - i suspect its less thick) - yet the 94 looks to narrow (max width 59?) as my float n ride board....

NOTE - These are my personal views - i am not a expert or board designer!

AlexF
274 posts
6 Sep 2019 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2019 CT 99, also a really powerfull board, but my smallest board, that i use down to 4.0 without ever complaining its size (me, 90 kg)
But what i did is changing the stock 20 centerfin to a 18, that loosened up the board significantlly without harming the planing and upwind noticeably.
Maybe that'd help with the 106 also, i think the stock fins Goya puts on the boards are rather on the large side.
Alex

Shlogger
88 posts
26 Oct 2019 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Come on guys...someone must have ridden the 4 by now....lets get some feedback. I'll have a full on ONE review this week.

windrider69
VIC, 25 posts
18 Jun 2020 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Rob,I know it's june now but I can tell u a bit about the custom 4.
I got the 2020 Goya custom 4 (94 Ltr )
quad.Under foot it feels alot more stable than the previous model and very compact (more like 89l)but more than enough to putt out on those fnr sessions .It is a tad slower due to the increased tail rocker but not dragy at all and due to this new update it turns like a MF on a wave with buckets of grip too.
Nice and light in the air for rotating through loops and floaty jumps.

I use it with 5.0 down to 4.2

The only negative thing I could say is it's a bit power hungry in lighter bng conditions but it is a wave board after all.

Nicko29
13 posts
18 Jun 2020 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hey windrider69, what s your weight?

sprayblaze
7 posts
20 Jun 2020 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

Which one is better in onshore Custom 4 or Custom 3 ?

windrider69
VIC, 25 posts
20 Jun 2020 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nicko29 said..
Hey windrider69, what s your weight?

83kg

windrider69
VIC, 25 posts
20 Jun 2020 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windrider69 said..
Hey Rob,I know it's june now but I can tell u a bit about the custom 4.
I got the 2020 Goya custom 4 (94 Ltr )
quad.Under foot it feels alot more stable than the previous model and very compact (more like 89l)but more than enough to putt out on those fnr sessions .It is a tad slower due to the increased tail rocker but not dragy at all and with this new update it turns like a MF on a wave with buckets of grip too.
Nice and light in the air for rotating through loops and floaty jumps.

I use it with 5.0 down to 4.2

The only negative thing I could say is it's a bit power hungry in lighter bng conditions but it is a wave board after all.

windrider69
VIC, 25 posts
20 Jun 2020 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sprayblaze said..

I'm guessing the 3 because the thruster Has a bigger center fin and more lift.I had the 91 litre thruster last year it was good board but the 94 quad wins hands down for me.On/off/gusty/full powa
dose it all
love it

sprayblaze
7 posts
20 Jun 2020 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windrider69 said..

sprayblaze said..

I'm guessing the 3 because the thruster Has a bigger center fin and more lift.I had the 91 litre thruster last year it was good board but the 94 quad wins hands down for me.On/off/gusty/full powa
dose it all
love it

Thanks. Is it wise to have a 74 l Custom 4 and as a second(back up) board 75l custom 3 or better 74l custom 4 with a 79l custom 4?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2020 Goya 3+ 4 fin" started by Rob0104