Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

OES 102 SMACK Quad/Twin/Thruster

Created by jh2703 > 9 months ago, 28 Feb 2013
jh2703
NSW, 1220 posts
1 Mar 2013 2:35AM
Thumbs Up

This review has been a long time coming, I just wanted to get a good feel for the board before I pass judgement on what may well be the best board I've got in my toy collection. I started talking to Pete at OES towards the end of last winter about constructing a new board for me and he informed me of a new design they had been working on....The "SMACK" toted as being a FSW quad built for onshore wave conditions with a super short and wide body and capable of doing all the spinny and flicky type wave moves you see the top guys doing (Not ME). Here's the description from the website...."The new 2013 Smack Quads will have a super short length and wide width with wide rounded nose and swallow tail outline, with more of a veed bottom and not so heavy concave bottom, To give them more slide and skate for more freesytle on a onshore waves. The Smack ,with their shorter, curvier outlines, that will fit into any size wave pocket. Can be ran as a twin fin if you need even a looser ride."

Sounded like a whole lot of fun to me....

As usual Pete did all the hard work as I've got no idea about rockers, Concave and all the technical stuff.....Best left to the professionals I think. We just settled on a volume of 102, An additional fin slot for a thruster setup, Some FCS plugs for GoPro mounts and a custom graphic print. There's a single concave through the board into quite a pronounced V in the tail, The rails are quite round and these flow right through to the swallow tail at the back. I'm assuming this will help with the sliding moves on the wave. The construction is the usual carbon/Kevlar lay-up with the OES signature exposed carbon rails, The footpads are super comfortable to keep you sailing all day. I haven't weighed the board but it's as light as any other pro-edition board I own....even with all the extras. I've fitted Dakine footstraps which are very comfortable and hold their shape very nicely and I'm running Makani Walus in 16cm(rear) & 10cm(front) for the fins. I've also got a tri-fin setup from Makani consisting of 10cm fronts and a 18cm rear, I also have a 20cm rear for the times I need a bit more drive. The graphics for the board was designed by myself in Photoshop, Sent to Pete via email who had it printed up and applied to the board. There's not much they can't do now as far as custom paint/Graphics.

The board didn't take too long to sort out but is very tuneable with mast foot and fin position, Within the day I had a setup that suited me and my style of sailing. I've had it out in winds ranging from 4.7 to 5.8 conditions and waves to 1/2 mast, Even at 102L the board feels right at home on a fully powered 4.7 and choppy conditions. The board loves to change direction, The more input you give the board the better it responds, Rail to rail it's smooth. Quick and slashy turns is what it loves and It's what you'll notice, Easy to lip slide for miles and ready to re-engage the wave when ever you want. I've run it as a Quad/Twin & Thruster in all of the above conditions and must say that it works with any setup. The quad setup is perfect for all conditions but excels in the waves with it's super planted feel that gives you the confidence to carve hard in the bottom turn and really kick out in the top. As a Twin it's fast and loose but not as twitchy as others twins I've ridden and for powered up B&J the Thruster is the go. When you run the board in Thruster mode it softens the ride quite a bit and makes the board behave in messy conditions and it gives great board speed. The board is great upwind with any setup but shines in the Thruster mode with the 20cm rear fin, It screams upwind without any effort.
You do notice how short the board is(229cm x 62cm), It felt very funny the first few times out but I've got use to having what feels like no nose on the board. The shorter length helps with in-flight control, I've scored some of my biggest jumps on this board and for a 102 it flies very nice. The ability to jump this board off flat water or the smallest chop is outstanding, It has so much pop that you think your on a freestyle board.....And that's usually how I describe the board to people, A freestyle board with true wave performance.

Overall the board is so sweet in such varied conditions that it is truly a "one board does it all" setup. At home in the waves or on flat water if your looking for that one board then I think the "SMACK" is truly that. If you want a go just ask and you can take mine for a spin but "YES" you must give it back as I know you'll want to keep it, So sick on the wave and so gnarly in the B&J I love this board. As part of a travel kit this board would be perfect, 1 board & 3 sails.....Done, That's all you'll need to cover it all.

There's a bit of footage of both my OES boards in this clip, Nothing epic...Just testing my camera.

BenKirk
NSW, 599 posts
1 Mar 2013 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Nice review Jason, thanks.

I really like that there is such a high take up of customs in this country. There are so many Nudes, OES and SSD's around NSW at the moment.

jh2703
NSW, 1220 posts
1 Mar 2013 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

BenKirk said...
Nice review Jason, thanks.

I really like that there is such a high take up of customs in this country. There are so many Nudes, OES and SSD's around NSW at the moment.

Cheers Ben,

I agree that we should put more faith in our local shapers and give them a go, They produce product as good as, If not better then the big name brands. The Stones and Nudes are very popular here and It was nice to see another OES turn up at my local today, 120L ICE Quad....Sweet

Yes it does take a while to get one, So plan your purchase to ensure you have it before the season kicks off....But it's coin well spent.

Once you go custom you won't go back.......

uweh
310 posts
1 Mar 2013 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi jh2703,

thanks for great report I have an custom tri fin chakra from witchcraft 229 x 63 x95 liter
will post my coment as soon I can...

uweh

Cluffy
NSW, 412 posts
1 Mar 2013 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Best Graphics I have ever, ever seen. The sexy silhouettes blend the funky colours at the back with the stylish (and mildly phallic lol) designs on the nose perfectly. The whole thing says life is awesome lets rip into it.

Mate that is a piece of art.

GusTee
NSW, 258 posts
2 Mar 2013 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

Great work on the graphics for the board. Love the photography and the lighting, the shots look sensational.

billekrub
111 posts
23 Mar 2013 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds wonderful. To have a light wind board with 62 cm width that turns well and can also handle 4.7 wind.

What is the new design? More V, round rails, concaves, short length, 5 finboxes, etc. are quite common today and few if any wide boards seem to come close. Tweaking these parameters could make some difference but this is major.

I have a 92 liter single that turns better than most boards but is somewhat slow. Also a 95 liter custom quad (2nd hand) that turns better than many of the smaller waves boards targeting the Euro onshore market. Both by the leading shapers. But neither of these deserves the kind of praise of the Smack.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"OES 102 SMACK Quad/Twin/Thruster" started by jh2703