Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

120 litre boards - what is the best for Melbourne?

Created by yakspeed > 9 months ago, 20 Jul 2016
yakspeed
VIC, 102 posts
20 Jul 2016 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Ok, so I've put my wishes out to the universe (and a wanted ad in Seabreeze) for a 120 litre board, or thereabouts. I'm looking for something that's circa 2008ish (purely because that's probably what I can afford).
Specs - I'm 100kgs and an intermediate sailor, and this is to use in Melbourne bay area, in other words chop up to 1m, wind speed 15 - 22 knots.
My question is this - I've seen a few boards out there like the Starboard Carve, iSonic and Futura, the Fanatic Hawk and Shark, the JP xCite Ride and the JP Super X. All of them are within a few centimeters of each other in terms of width and seem to me to have basically the same shape, rocker, rails etc. What makes one better or worse? I would love to try them all before I buy, but that is not an option, so does anyone have any of these boards and can give me some info, ie "found it harder to plane", or "easy sailing, but hard to gybe" etc? Any reason to avoid any boards? Issues with durability or construction?
I really am not too worried about how fast it goes - my speed sailing will be done on other boards and conditions. Mainly concerned with sailing in the bay, ie not completely flat conditions. Sail sizes 6.5 to 8.2 in 2 cam - any input appreciated, thanks

Ninjury
QLD, 167 posts
20 Jul 2016 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

I can't speak to most of those boards but I'd suggest erring on the side of more rocker and less speed oriented for PPB. When I had a tabou rocket I seemed to spend a lot of time smashing over the crests of the chop, a slower board would let you choose a path through it.

Perhaps out of those I'd go with the carve with superx as a second choice. The excite rides of that era are not good - a dull ride and hard to gybe.

Berry
2 posts
22 Jul 2016 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

I have an old trusty Starboard Carve 121 about 10 years old, I prefer smaller boards on the bay but still get it out quiet often when its a bit lighter. Great board.

mathew
QLD, 2027 posts
23 Jul 2016 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ninjury said..
I can't speak to most of those boards but I'd suggest erring on the side of more rocker and less speed oriented for PPB. When I had a tabou rocket I seemed to spend a lot of time smashing over the crests of the chop, a slower board would let you choose a path through it.

Perhaps out of those I'd go with the carve with superx as a second choice. The excite rides of that era are not good - a dull ride and hard to gybe.

Given that the goal is 15-22kn @ 100kg's, and under 1m swell... that is probably aiming at +7m sails. I'd suggest you'ed be better off with less rocker.
If the target was 25kn and 5.5-6m sails, then more rocker is better.

I say this because, smashing through chop is what happens when you go slower - hovering above the chop is easier in that wind range.... stronger wind changes that dynamic.

That said, if you are just looking for a "single board solution" then you probably would be looking for a semi-modern "free wave"... the JP Freewave's of that era, were good value.

blazing928
VIC, 106 posts
28 Jul 2016 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

I have a Mistral Energy CHS in very good condition. 2.73m, 55.5cm wide 105lt
Its a lot older, perhaps 1994, but in grat condition. The foot straps are looking a tad washed out.
I also have some old sails, booms, mast etc.
Nigel Melb.

Closed
VIC, 144 posts
7 Sep 2016 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Futura all day long, i haven't tried anything as good until my new Isonic gets a run.

Futura has a such a good wind range and I can charge on a 5.8 no issues a 7.5 NCX works well also, the board is just so fast and controlled.

I also liked the older JP's which are a bargain used.

Steely81
VIC, 35 posts
22 Sep 2016 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

I have a question for all. Im moving to Melbourne in October and looking to get a board and sails to suit. Im 70kg and thought that maybe a roughly 115L board with a 5.5m sail would do me? I kite as well so in the lighter winds might just go out with a larger kite rather than get another mast for my board (i have a 400 with an extension).

For my weight, would a 5.5m (i have a 4.8 as well) sail be ok in the bay with a 115L board? I was planning on getting a JP All ride.

JonE
VIC, 126 posts
22 Sep 2016 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Are you planning on being near the City, or further out?

If you're going to be sailing sea breezes near the city you'll probably want a smaller board but you'll be able to pick up a 100 or less litre board when you get here pretty cheaply/easily. Wave boards are virtually worthless but bigger boards - i.e. 115 litre are expensive and harder to come by second hand down here.

Steely81
VIC, 35 posts
30 Sep 2016 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks JonE.

I plan on sticking around the city as i would try to get some sessions in evenings after work. Although i could venture further on weekends.

I can get hold of new JP boards pretty cheap through someone I know so the new 115 JP All ride i plan on getting i can get my hands on for less than $1000. I suppose if i find its too much, i can get a one with less volume when i get there.

What kind of sail sizes are generally used near the city?

JonE
VIC, 126 posts
1 Oct 2016 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

At 100kgs you'll probably want a 5 and a 6 maybe?

Steely81
VIC, 35 posts
3 Oct 2016 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Im 70kg and currently have a 4.8 and 5.5.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"120 litre boards - what is the best for Melbourne?" started by yakspeed