Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

Final Trim Bobcats Margaret River Wave Classic 2018

Created by Greenroom > 9 months ago, 21 Jan 2018
Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
21 Jan 2018 6:14AM
Thumbs Up

We're back for 2018 at Surfer's Point on the weekend of 3rd and 4th February. As usual we'll aim for the comp on the Saturday but make a final call in week before when the forecast is out.
The event will also see the Australian Premiere of That's Surf West Movie on Saturday night at Redgate Wines.

Thanks to the sponsors:
Final Trim Bobcats
Bunnings Bussleton
Gallows Electrical
Eagle Bay Brewing
Redgate Wines
Margaret River Stand Up Paddle

Simon from Margaret River Stand Up Paddle will be providing transport to and from the party at Redgate if you need a lift and the parents of the South West Junior Windsurf School will be running the bar and providing food at the party with all proceeds to the school.
Get your accommodation booked and get signed up as places are limited and we always sell out! Tickets are available here windsurfingwa.org.au/public/schedule/events/14148-final-trim-bobcats-margaret-river-wave-classic

Bobbin
WA, 122 posts
21 Jan 2018 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

NO,windsurfing equipment sponsors, but no doubt they will make the most of it once a sponsored sailor wins

premo
WA, 293 posts
22 Jan 2018 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

good post Greenroom , I shared it on WWA FB page

Paul
WA, 346 posts
22 Jan 2018 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

With Respect BTB. This is probably the first time many have heard about this event. Also the Brands may have not even been contacted and asked for support, I know this to be the case in for at least two brands.
The "Brands" have lent support to other events this season so far ie the Simmer style wa slalom series, the Windtech KA Cervantes weekend, (with other brand contributors), and also the Junior windurf schools have had a lot of support from Starboard, Severne amongst others.

Just like your dollars, they only stretch so far. Support for riders is part of the support for the sport.
Most contest participants would rather a nice dinner or carton of favourite beverages as spot prizes rather than another pair of harness lines.
Or perhaps you would like to see the same winners walk away with the prizes or cash as usual.

Well done to PJ for his support and the margies crew for getting the event into place.

WindsurfingWA
WA, 799 posts
22 Jan 2018 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

This season we have had great support for all the major brands represented in WA as per every year. Without this support WWA could not hold events.

WWA is very specific on who we contact for sponsorship and the windsurfing industry is small so sponsors from outside the industry are critical. For Margs we are able to obtain sufficient support from outside the industry from our awesome local sponsor so we didn't contact industry sponsors this time around. Industry support is critical for other events where there isn't the local industry support so we need to share the love.

Bobbin
WA, 122 posts
22 Jan 2018 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the responses. Some I don't agree with but thats all good
Hope they get an all time swell.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
24 Jan 2018 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

You'll find that the sponsors this year are local windsurfers themselves, myself included.
PJ, Simon and I are small business owners living in the area and are mad keen on getting out on the water everyday and supporting the SUP/windsurfing industry.
Just like Paul said the windsurfing industry supports a lot of other events throughout the year and for me the Margs Wave Classic was a good opportunity for myself and others, who aren't so major, to show our support.

Mark _australia
WA, 22109 posts
24 Jan 2018 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Which one of you owns a brewery?

Maaateee buddy maaate

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
24 Jan 2018 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Maaateee buddy maaate

Not me but come down Mark

WINDY MILLER
WA, 3183 posts
25 Jan 2018 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greenroom said..

Mark _australia said..

Maaateee buddy maaate

I'm going to enter, don't bother turning up, ill clean up

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
25 Jan 2018 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WINDY MILLER said..

Greenroom said..

Mark _australia said..

Maaateee buddy maaate

The hideous hog with the biggest twin fins in the southern hemisphere is king of the point

PhilCutter
WA, 32 posts
25 Jan 2018 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

If anyone is planning on entering or spectating and coming to the party then please do get over to the WWA site and book your place ASAP. windsurfingwa.tidyhq.com/users/sign_in
Unfortunately we cannot rely on last minute entries for these events as we need to prep catering, rescue cover etc and for this we need a reasonably clear idea of numbers before the morning of the event, ideally a week in advance .

If you're thinking of turning up to compete then let me just say it's a great way to get an uncrowded session at main break, we have 2 jet skis to provide rescuer cover/a tow back to the beach so there's never been a better time to have a crack.
The knockout system we have used for the last few years gives everyone at least two heats (a bit like the WSL format) even if you don't win in the first round.

We have fleets for Weekend Warrior, Open, Elite and Women. If you need more explanation of each of these then read on...

Elite The top tier, for professional and sponsored sailors.
Open Not at professional or sponsored, but striving to win and have a reasonable skill level i.e. landing forwards and general carving up the waves.
Weekend Warrior This is the category for those not at the level of open. This division also gives people an entry point into competition rather than having to go straight into the Open Fleet.
Women For women, obviously.

If you're wondering where masters and grand masters have gone then a) we all got old so there would have been no one left in Open, b) the standard was as high as Open anyway for the most part and c) with fewer fleets we were able to adopt the second chance knockout system and give everyone more time on the water.

The party will feature the first Australian showing of That's Surf West film, food cooked by the SW Junior Windsurf crew and I'm told very well priced beer and wine from Eagle Bay Brewing and Redgate Wines.
Simon from Margaret River Standup paddle will even ferry you to and from the party.
What more could you want from a weekend away!
And thanks to all the sponsors and volunteers who make these things happen:

Final Trim Bobcats
Bunnings Bussleton
Gallows Electrical
Eagle Bay Brewing
Redgate Wines
Margaret River Stand Up Paddle

WindsurfingWA
WA, 799 posts
29 Jan 2018 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Unfortunately due to the poor weather forecast for the coming weekend the comp will be cancelled. We are looking into the feasibility of holding the event on another weekend and will make an announcement in the next few days. If you did buy tickets you should have received an email regarding refund options.

R1DER
WA, 1455 posts
27 Dec 2018 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Greenroom said..

WINDY MILLER said..

Greenroom said..

Mark _australia said..

Maaateee buddy maaate

The hideous hog with the biggest twin fins in the southern hemisphere is king of the point

Go the Hog !! Way ahead of its time. Another trend setter

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Western Australia

"Final Trim Bobcats Margaret River Wave Classic 2018" started by Greenroom