Carbon Foil Track Box Question

1 month ago
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
thedoor
thedoor
2538 posts
2538 posts
25 Aug 2026 11:56pm
I have been using a project drag board for about 2 months (grey board). Its the first board I have had with a carbon track box. Anyways, I have experienced rapid corrosion on my stainless nuts. I am currently on my second set.

Generally I am not good about making sure my tracks are dry before storing the board and I seem to have been storing it up-side-down so the water isn't draining out. Also, I tend to leave my hardware in the track either with mast attached or nut. I have done this with other boards consistently and haven't seen this rate of corrosion.

Going forwards I plan to remove hardware and drain the boxes, but did the carbon track box contribute to more rapid corrosion?





PS:
Mark _australia
Mark _australia
WA
23808 posts
WA, 23808 posts
26 Aug 2026 7:58am
I would expect a carbon track has an outer glass layer to prevent metal to carbon contact. Metal and carbon in saline is literally a battery. Electrolytic corrosion.
thedoor
thedoor
2538 posts
2538 posts
27 Aug 2026 1:47am
Mark _australia said..
I would expect a carbon track has an outer glass layer to prevent metal to carbon contact. Metal and carbon in saline is literally a battery. Electrolytic corrosion.



Mark _australia said..
I would expect a carbon track has an outer glass layer to prevent metal to carbon contact. Metal and carbon in saline is literally a battery. Electrolytic corrosion.



Does the type of metal matter? Should I be using those brass tnuts or something else different than stainless steel?
patronus
patronus
509 posts
509 posts
27 Aug 2026 5:19am
Your bolts are screwing into bottom of track, try shorter ones. My stainless are discoloured too, and brass ones got to look crudy after a while.
Mark _australia
Mark _australia
WA
23808 posts
WA, 23808 posts
27 Aug 2026 7:46am
^^ Only on the old board, not the new one...?
Mark _australia
Mark _australia
WA
23808 posts
WA, 23808 posts
27 Aug 2026 7:48am
thedoor said..
Does the type of metal matter? Should I be using those brass tnuts or something else different than stainless steel?


Yes Ti is slightly better.,..... but there is always going to be a reaction if the carbon actually touches the metal (so Patronus' suggestion could be a good one if the screw actually buried hard into the track?) so keep the out of track if possible and if not - dry
thedoor
thedoor
2538 posts
2538 posts
27 Aug 2026 11:32am
I think those screw dents were in that blue board when I got it. Screws ain't bottoming out on the drag board with carbon tracks

Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply