Do mast adaptors measurably impact stiffness or other mast characteristics?

Saturday
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
wingfoilernoob
wingfoilernoob
NSW
26 posts
NSW, 26 posts
3 Oct 2026 8:28pm
I’m considering buying a mast from OceanSportsAustralia and using it with an adaptor to fit my existing Duotone foils.
I was wondering whether using an adaptor affects performance in any way. For example, does it make the setup less stiff? Or are there other aspects I should be aware of?
Obviously, it will depend a lot on the quality of the adaptor, but I’d love to hear from anyone who has used an adaptor and what their experience has been.
BWalnut
BWalnut
WA
1330 posts
WA, 1330 posts
3 Oct 2026 8:44pm
I have really high expectations of gear and haven't had any complaints with the One Ocean mast and adapters. I use Lift and Code because the adapters are so clean. The One Ocean mast is outstanding and upgrades those foils for sure.

Some people struggle adding aluminum to a saltwater system. Adapter quality is critical, there are some awesome DIYers out there making really cool stuff that most people never see or hear about.
Mikedubs
Mikedubs
WA
313 posts
WA, 313 posts
4 Oct 2026 12:02am
My oneoceansports mast and code adapter is rock solid, I recently upgraded to a titanium one.
IANC
IANC
QLD
131 posts
QLD, 131 posts
4 Oct 2026 6:24am
Agree, used both aluminium and now titanium adaptors.

Rock solid, no movement and great tight fit btw mast / adaptor and fuse








Jeroensurf
Jeroensurf
1152 posts
1152 posts
4 Oct 2026 1:36pm
The SS is a great mast, especially with bigger spanny foils of 1300-1600cm2 its stiffer as most.
Duotone has a saddle type of mastconnection. I have the same with AFS and you can get adapters from that from Jim Stringfellow.
The positive is that the connection is stiff, the downside is that it is notticeable more draggy compared to the AFS UHM80 without the block of aloy inbetween the mast and fuse.
I can,t say for 100% sure its the adapter, but with the same fuse and foil and both masts have aprox the same diameter and overall cord it seems to be the most logical conclussion to blame the extra thickness arouund the head caused by the adapter. Because I really liked the extra stifness of the OO mast
I asked Stringfellow to make me a custom fuse: axis/one ocean head to AFS foils but unfortunally he stopped making custom fuses for now.
Bit of a pitty because with the adapter the excellent OO SS mast is not gonna be used so serious considdering switching to a foil brand like Code (S2) where the adapter falls into the fuse or switch brand of DW/supfoil foils including mast.
I demoed the Naish Excalibur and really really liked that one for its insane low end.

wingfoilernoob
wingfoilernoob
NSW
26 posts
NSW, 26 posts
4 Oct 2026 8:03pm
Jeroensurf said..
I can,t say for 100% sure its the adapter, but with the same fuse and foil and both masts have aprox the same diameter and overall cord it seems to be the most logical conclussion to blame the extra thickness arouund the head caused by the adapter. Because I really liked the extra stifness of the OO mast




Thanks Jeroen, it is really useful to know. That's what I was afraid of, the adapter looks very chunky, significantly bigger than the original connection.
Good to know that the stiffness is not affected . Thanks Mikedubs and IANC . The chunkiness of the adaptor does give me pause since one of the reasons to switch to the mast is to reduce the drag.





BWalnut said..
Some people struggle adding aluminum to a saltwater system.




Thanks Bryan, good point. I didn't think of that.
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply