F-one Frigate v2

1 month ago
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
hilly
hilly
WA
8211 posts
WA, 8211 posts
17 Sep 2026 6:07pm
Jve said..
I really didn't get along with the Quest because of the bad low end, coming from the Frigate v1. I felt like the Frigate had lowend equal to a 0,5m bigger Quest riding them back to back on 3 different occasions.


Felt the same. Preferred the Frigate
emmafoils
emmafoils
315 posts
315 posts
17 Sep 2026 8:47pm
maxpwr said..

emmafoils said..


maxpwr said..
I'd love to know how the hatch compares when you get it. I'm currently tossing up between a 5m quest and hatch v2. Speed isn't what I want and it seems that's what frigate v2 is designed towards.




I have both. They are both intuitive to use and have good low end. The Quest has a much simpler bridle system which makes it a bit easier to douse and redeploy and also less prone to tangles. The Frigate has a bit more performance when loaded and turns a bit faster. They are both very good PWs. The bars and harness lines are very different. I prefer the Quest harness line.



Tyvm. Just to confirm, when you say frigate you mean hatch?


Yes, sorry. My comments refer to Quest vs Hatch V2.
larsdegroot
larsdegroot
191 posts
191 posts
17 Sep 2026 11:13pm
Was about to receive my frigate V2, then i got the message that i was not in the first batch. Next delivery should be as early as half october. I decided to cancel my order. Water is getting colder pretty quickly by that time ... I decided to push my parawing adventure to next season.
I had the opportunity to test the Hatch v2 for the last couple of days, but man those things lack allot of power. I'm sure its me lacking skills also, but I thought i could get up pretty easily on my freestyle wingfoil board 78L, but i definitely needed allot of wind. Once up it wasn't that hard. Did a couple of jibes, all smooth. But man, it hard to find some power to get up.
NordRoi
NordRoi
678 posts
678 posts
18 Sep 2026 1:47am
It improves by experience, but the grunt is not like a wing for sure. Pull the trigger on a good used V1/v2 and start practicing now then refine on the proper frigate sizes next season?
I don’t know what are your conditions, but the mistake I did was picking a parawing size (4m) based on what I wanted to do(enough wind to have decent bumps…)

The issue, I did not had a lot of TOW. I should have picked a 5m and practice more and when figure it out If i like it or not, nailed down my quiver with proper size. Unless money is not an issue and you can buy a whole quiver?
larsdegroot
larsdegroot
191 posts
191 posts
18 Sep 2026 3:35am
Yeah but the thing with those, once you are up, they pull your arms off. When i was finally up with the Hatch, the thing was pulling really hard. The depower was crazy. The thing starts to flutter and everything starts to shake.. also it starts to pull even harder downwind. I was on a 4.3 in 18/25 knots of wind. I took out my 3.5 hand wing and 2 pumps and i was up on foil. 2nd day i got up a little earlier, but still really really hard work.
joeballow
joeballow
45 posts
45 posts
18 Sep 2026 4:18am
I’m only 2 sessions in with the quest but I was glad I was using a harness from day 1 or it would have limited my time on the water from getting too tired.



I’m sure as I get better at controlling it things will improve but it also just seems inherent to current single skins. The reviews of the orbit are a contrast.
Faff
Faff
VIC
1433 posts
VIC, 1433 posts
18 Sep 2026 7:01am
larsdegroot said..
Yeah but the thing with those, once you are up, they pull your arms off. When i was finally up with the Hatch, the thing was pulling really hard. The depower was crazy. The thing starts to flutter and everything starts to shake.. also it starts to pull even harder downwind. I was on a 4.3 in 18/25 knots of wind. I took out my 3.5 hand wing and 2 pumps and i was up on foil. 2nd day i got up a little earlier, but still really really hard work.


Harness?
maxpwr
maxpwr
QLD
83 posts
QLD, 83 posts
18 Sep 2026 9:35am
Jve said..
I really didn't get along with the Quest because of the bad low end, coming from the Frigate v1. I felt like the Frigate had lowend equal to a 0,5m bigger Quest riding them back to back on 3 different occasions.


This seems to be one of the biggest issues with parawings, nailing down the truth. I've seen so many people hyping the quest low end 😂
Velocicraptor
Velocicraptor
899 posts
899 posts
18 Sep 2026 8:17am
maxpwr said..

Jve said..
I really didn't get along with the Quest because of the bad low end, coming from the Frigate v1. I felt like the Frigate had lowend equal to a 0,5m bigger Quest riding them back to back on 3 different occasions.



This seems to be one of the biggest issues with parawings, nailing down the truth. I've seen so many people hyping the quest low end 😂

Not hyping it but I find it’s got good low end coming from the pocket rocket v1. The biggest difference is that it has a good range of angle with low end. A lot of other parawing ive tried like a specific angle which is often not aligned with swell. Quest allows for me to harness wave energy more flexibility even if the real low end “pull” is the grutiest.


WindWaterSailAU
WindWaterSailAU
WA
64 posts
WA, 64 posts
19 Sep 2026 9:11am
Low end achievable via a bit of sheeting in on the bar maybe?


Be interesting to see how this low end debate pans out once we have m ore riders on them.
Thatspec
Thatspec
465 posts
465 posts
19 Sep 2026 9:24am
WindWaterSailAU said..
Low end achievable via a bit of sheeting in on the bar maybe?


C'mon🤣
hilly
hilly
WA
8211 posts
WA, 8211 posts
19 Sep 2026 12:18pm
Thatspec said..


WindWaterSailAU said..
Low end achievable via a bit of sheeting in on the bar maybe?




C'mon🤣



V1 Frigate is a different beast to get on foil compared to PR. I prefer the Frigate I have PRV2s which I struggle with. No top end compared to v1 Frigates, great low end and better collapse, redeploy is terrible always wants to fly backwards. Hope to getV2 Frigates soon.
maxpwr
maxpwr
QLD
83 posts
QLD, 83 posts
20 Sep 2026 7:59am
Velocicraptor said..

maxpwr said..


Jve said..
I really didn't get along with the Quest because of the bad low end, coming from the Frigate v1. I felt like the Frigate had lowend equal to a 0,5m bigger Quest riding them back to back on 3 different occasions.




This seems to be one of the biggest issues with parawings, nailing down the truth. I've seen so many people hyping the quest low end 😂


Not hyping it but I find it’s got good low end coming from the pocket rocket v1. The biggest difference is that it has a good range of angle with low end. A lot of other parawing ive tried like a specific angle which is often not aligned with swell. Quest allows for me to harness wave energy more flexibility even if the real low end “pull” is the grutiest.




Thanks, that's a great explanation.
Youngbreezy
Youngbreezy
WA
1300 posts
WA, 1300 posts
20 Sep 2026 8:58am
Thanks for the replies regarding the low end on the quest. Still a bit confused about it though as there seems to be some differing opinions. All good I’m not in a rush to get a wave/ downwind wing anyway. Ive got the 777 pt hybrid 4.3 and thought it could be cool to have a single skin of the same size that I use just for wave and downwind thinking maybe a quest, power pack, PRv2 or even a pt skin. Anyway quite a bit off topic.


Does anyone have any fresh reports on why a 5.5 frigv2 is my perfect light to medium wind para? All I want is something with really good low end, really good upwind/ vmg, great top end and wind range and excellent stashing? Does the 5.5 frigv2 fit that description?
BWalnut
BWalnut
WA
1330 posts
WA, 1330 posts
20 Sep 2026 11:18am
Youngbreezy said.. All I want is something with really good low end, really good upwind/ vmg, great top end and wind range and excellent stashing?


Isn't that what we all want? Doesn't exist as far as I know.
Holoholo
Holoholo
261 posts
261 posts
20 Sep 2026 2:27pm
Jve said..
I really didn't get along with the Quest because of the bad low end, coming from the Frigate v1. I felt like the Frigate had lowend equal to a 0,5m bigger Quest riding them back to back on 3 different occasions.


I've kinda come to realize each wing has its own personality... +s... -s... subtle differences in technique. Some are outright pigs, but- sometimes you just need more time to figure out what a PW likes before writing it off. This can be an issue with putting toooo too much stock in a review someone hasn't spent much time on, or trying a wing a short time. I have both Quest and PR V2s. Quest in 2.5, 4.5... PRV2 in 3 and 3.5. Out of the box PRs seemed like they have much better getup/ low end. You can point downwind/swell put it low in the window and pump them pretty good. First sessions on Quest I felt the same, little disappointed about low end. But once I figured them out after a few sessions, I'm actually pretty happy with them. The technique is just different... point downwind/swell, but I have the wing higher in the window with less rear line pressure. Feels like it is pulling me more up and forward than the PR which is a more flat/forward pull. In heavy chop swell though, Ive found I can use it to my advantage easily with bigger pumps/hops releasing my board out of the water rather than smaller pumps waiting for speed I use with the PRs.
hilly
hilly
WA
8211 posts
WA, 8211 posts
20 Sep 2026 6:26pm
Holoholo said..


Jve said..
I really didn't get along with the Quest because of the bad low end, coming from the Frigate v1. I felt like the Frigate had lowend equal to a 0,5m bigger Quest riding them back to back on 3 different occasions.




I've kinda come to realize each wing has its own personality... +s... -s... subtle differences in technique. Some are outright pigs, but- sometimes you just need more time to figure out what a PW likes before writing it off. This can be an issue with putting toooo too much stock in a review someone hasn't spent much time on, or trying a wing a short time. I have both Quest and PR V2s. Quest in 2.5, 4.5... PRV2 in 3 and 3.5. Out of the box PRs seemed like they have much better getup/ low end. You can point downwind/swell put it low in the window and pump them pretty good. First sessions on Quest I felt the same, little disappointed about low end. But once I figured them out after a few sessions, I'm actually pretty happy with them. The technique is just different... point downwind/swell, but I have the wing higher in the window with less rear line pressure. Feels like it is pulling me more up and forward than the PR which is a more flat/forward pull. In heavy chop swell though, Ive found I can use it to my advantage easily with bigger pumps/hops releasing my board out of the water rather than smaller pumps waiting for speed I use with the PRs.



Great description. Totally agree



Acker
Acker
VIC
93 posts
VIC, 93 posts
22 Sep 2026 10:06am
First go on 3.5 Frigate v2 yesterday (after trying 4.0 a few weeks ago). At 85kg on F-One Freesurf 85 and Eagle 1090 I could comfortably get going in 16-17 gusting 20 knots. This was baffling as I ordered a 5.5 (which could therefore potentially get me going in 12 knots). Agree with that light wind video, have to put back hand at back of bar and sheet in, using slower cadence sweeping pump (punching elbows back). If sync that with slower board pump, it got up easier than my 4.0 v1 frigate.

Thinking technically quite a few riders could just about get away with one parawing if needed to - a 3.5 for everything as top end easily pushes over 30knots.

Btw, it's super fast. I got up to 22 knots on a reach with bigger slower foil setup - going to be phenomenal speed w smaller foils.
Acker
Acker
VIC
93 posts
VIC, 93 posts
23 Sep 2026 3:17pm
Acker said..
First go on 3.5 Frigate v2 yesterday (after trying 4.0 a few weeks ago). At 85kg on F-One Freesurf 85 and Eagle 1090 I could comfortably get going in 16-17 gusting 20 knots. This was baffling as I ordered a 5.5 (which could therefore potentially get me going in 12 knots). Agree with that light wind video, have to put back hand at back of bar and sheet in, using slower cadence sweeping pump (punching elbows back). If sync that with slower board pump, it got up easier than my 4.0 v1 frigate.

Thinking technically quite a few riders could just about get away with one parawing if needed to - a 3.5 for everything as top end easily pushes over 30knots.

Btw, it's super fast. I got up to 22 knots on a reach with bigger slower foil setup - going to be phenomenal speed w smaller foils.


Follow-up session in lighter winds on 3.5 Frigate V2 yesterday (again with Freesurf carbon 85 and Eagle 1090) - got up in wind that was average 15knots gusting 17-18. I'm not finding issues with low-end; people should not get put off by these reports. It's a phenomenal parawing.
It's just technique - if don't sheet in with back hand then yes the parawing wants to stay forwards in wind window and it's hard to get up. But, if sheet in with back hand at back of bar, it keeps the parawing on a broad reach and you get surges of power and can pump bit more like a wing. Waiting 2-3 more weeks for 5.5 to arrive.

Jve
Jve
62 posts
Jve Jve
62 posts
23 Sep 2026 3:11pm
Acker said..
First go on 3.5 Frigate v2 yesterday (after trying 4.0 a few weeks ago). At 85kg on F-One Freesurf 85 and Eagle 1090 I could comfortably get going in 16-17 gusting 20 knots. This was baffling as I ordered a 5.5 (which could therefore potentially get me going in 12 knots). Agree with that light wind video, have to put back hand at back of bar and sheet in, using slower cadence sweeping pump (punching elbows back). If sync that with slower board pump, it got up easier than my 4.0 v1 frigate.

Thinking technically quite a few riders could just about get away with one parawing if needed to - a 3.5 for everything as top end easily pushes over 30knots.

Btw, it's super fast. I got up to 22 knots on a reach with bigger slower foil setup - going to be phenomenal speed w smaller foils.



Sounds overly positive to me. As you only seem to ride F one gear, the obvious question is, do you have any affiliation with F one or a shop selling these?
Acker
Acker
VIC
93 posts
VIC, 93 posts
23 Sep 2026 7:05pm
Jve said..

Acker said..
First go on 3.5 Frigate v2 yesterday (after trying 4.0 a few weeks ago). At 85kg on F-One Freesurf 85 and Eagle 1090 I could comfortably get going in 16-17 gusting 20 knots. This was baffling as I ordered a 5.5 (which could therefore potentially get me going in 12 knots). Agree with that light wind video, have to put back hand at back of bar and sheet in, using slower cadence sweeping pump (punching elbows back). If sync that with slower board pump, it got up easier than my 4.0 v1 frigate.

Thinking technically quite a few riders could just about get away with one parawing if needed to - a 3.5 for everything as top end easily pushes over 30knots.

Btw, it's super fast. I got up to 22 knots on a reach with bigger slower foil setup - going to be phenomenal speed w smaller foils.




Sounds overly positive to me. As you only seem to ride F one gear, the obvious question is, do you have any affiliation with F one or a shop selling these?


Local team rider in Vic but not affiliated with F-One. I've ridden lots of brands and tried many different parawings but have chosen F-One gear. Still have BRM Kanahas as learnt pw on them last year. My report on the 3.5 Frigate v2 is honest - not a sales pitch. Was a bit worried about the low end so wanted to test it for myself and report real wind obs. So many of the newer parawings are top notch now - spoilt for choice...
Jeroensurf
Jeroensurf
1153 posts
1153 posts
25 Sep 2026 11:55pm
I can,t comment on the low end of the Frigate V2 but demoed last weekend the 4.5 on a demo day in the netherlands. (I,m 93/94kg riding an KT SuperKv2 95l and AFS Silk V21050 v2)
I was on my own Quest 3.5 and when the wind dropped I switched to the F-V2 4.5 to try. Obviously as soon as I hit the water the wind came back to an 25-30knots....and it didnt bother the wing at all.
It felt a bit like an Quest-GT. same bar, but everything reacts faster, mnore direct and more precise, the low end trick in the vid works (its what I do as well on the Quest I have). Upwind angle is higher and faster, stowing similar to the Quest, redeploy with my technique slightly less/ more tangles.
Friends who ussually ride 1 size bigger were on 3.5 well powered while I was on 4.5. normally I don,t like to ride powered up but with the Frigate V2 4.5 it was no fight at all so the top end is wow!
I also like the handeling and power adjustment over the PR2 4.3 and 5.7 I own, but I have absolutely no clue how the low end is.

That said. I tried the PR UltraX 3.6 and that felt really really good as well with almost F-One bar feel.
Gonna be an intersting and expebsive year i,m afraid
BWalnut
BWalnut
WA
1330 posts
WA, 1330 posts
26 Sep 2026 12:16am
Jeroensurf said..
Gonna be an intersting and expebsive year i,m afraid


The last thing we all want to hear! 😂
flatchat
flatchat
WA
97 posts
WA, 97 posts
27 Sep 2026 9:50am
These comments really only applies to anyone looking at the 4.0v1 vs 4.5v2. upsizing to improve bottom end with improved top end. I've had the v2 out for the last 2 days with winds in the 15-25knts range. As far as the upper end is concerned, this was very manageable, with no noticeable wing tip collapsing. When the gust came up, point more upwind, lean back in the harness and control was really good. The upwind speed and angle was all the hype.Never really had a chance to see the bottom end but on the beach the improvement in pull from 4.5 vs 4.0 was noticeable. I was hoping that the 4.5 would be a one size fits all for the typical Perth seabreeze, 15-25knts, but I don't think this will work. If the wind gets consistently over 18knts, I will prefer to reach for the 3m. The main downside of the 4.5 is just size. Larger canopy makes stashing more challenging, but the noticeable larger bar doesn't quite work in my current stash belt.
eppo
eppo
WA
9800 posts
WA, 9800 posts
4 Oct 2026 1:42pm
hilly said..

Thatspec said..



WindWaterSailAU said..
Low end achievable via a bit of sheeting in on the bar maybe?





C'mon🤣




V1 Frigate is a different beast to get on foil compared to PR. I prefer the Frigate I have PRV2s which I struggle with. No top end compared to v1 Frigates, great low end and better collapse, redeploy is terrible always wants to fly backwards. Hope to getV2 Frigates soon.


Having had many sessions now on the 4.3 and5m PR2 both DW, Dw/up wind and even wave riding - I have to say I completely agree with Hillys observations. Got me stuffed what ozone were thinking dumbing down the V1 - getting my 4.5m frigate soon - so will report back. I’ve got a lot of good things to say about the after burner but will politely decline being a negative nancy on the PR V2. But … wtf. ??
hilly
hilly
WA
8211 posts
WA, 8211 posts
4 Oct 2026 4:30pm
eppo said..

hilly said..


Thatspec said..




WindWaterSailAU said..
Low end achievable via a bit of sheeting in on the bar maybe?






C'mon🤣





V1 Frigate is a different beast to get on foil compared to PR. I prefer the Frigate I have PRV2s which I struggle with. No top end compared to v1 Frigates, great low end and better collapse, redeploy is terrible always wants to fly backwards. Hope to getV2 Frigates soon.



Having had many sessions now on the 4.3 and5m PR2 both DW, Dw/up wind and even wave riding - I have to say I completely agree with Hillys observations. Got me stuffed what ozone were thinking dumbing down the V1 - getting my 4.5m frigate soon - so will report back. I’ve got a lot of good things to say about the after burner but will politely decline being a negative nancy on the PR V2. But … wtf. ??

That would be a first 😂


eppo
eppo
WA
9800 posts
WA, 9800 posts
5 Oct 2026 1:47pm
hilly said..

eppo said..


hilly said..



Thatspec said..





WindWaterSailAU said..
Low end achievable via a bit of sheeting in on the bar maybe?







C'mon🤣






V1 Frigate is a different beast to get on foil compared to PR. I prefer the Frigate I have PRV2s which I struggle with. No top end compared to v1 Frigates, great low end and better collapse, redeploy is terrible always wants to fly backwards. Hope to getV2 Frigates soon.




Having had many sessions now on the 4.3 and5m PR2 both DW, Dw/up wind and even wave riding - I have to say I completely agree with Hillys observations. Got me stuffed what ozone were thinking dumbing down the V1 - getting my 4.5m frigate soon - so will report back. I’ve got a lot of good things to say about the after burner but will politely decline being a negative nancy on the PR V2. But … wtf. ??


That would be a first 😂




Ah that’s not true I just refuse to let you know I agree with you :)… but you are bang on about the PRV2 … I’m actually really pissed off about it to be frank. The world will work it out eventually. Look it’s ideal for a beginner I suppose or someone who just wants to rip downwind.
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply