93 posts
Hello, I need an advice. I am wingfoiler which started parawinging. I went to the parawinging because I lost my patients with ripping bladders, cracking of valves and windows of the wings. Si I started learning parawinging. I am using converted Flysurfer Peaks 4m and 5m. Using them I can fly within 11-16m/s wind range using 6.8’x22 and Sabfoil Tortuga 1250 foil. So for going lower 6-10m/s, I started to look at the foil kites. My idea is to choose the kite with which I could ride mountain board (I could learn in the near field before going into water), then foiling with my downwind board 6.8’x22 board and foil. Mainly I will use on inland lakes, launching from the water.
So I am wondering should I by 6.2m parawing or 9-10m kite. My budget is limited and I am not able to buy 777 7.2m parawing.
WA
1300 posts
Yeah I think thats a pretty good idea. I mean parawinging, if you’re not stashing the wing, is kinda just kite foiling on really short lines. Kite foiling as a discipline is pretty cool overall, you’ve got tons of power and can ride really small boards and foils. You can ride with speed and power in really light winds.
Where kite foiling falls short is riding waves or downwind bumps. If thats your goal parawing or wing is vastly better. For free ride in flat water and light winds kite foil is a great option.
Another downside of kite foiling is there is a much higher likelihood of having a kitemare and needing to swim back to shore with all your gear. In light winds it’s not too hard to drop your kite and not be able to relaunch it. If your in the ocean in places with lots of sharks this can be a real concern but if your on the inland lakes you mention it’s probably not too much of a worry.
If I were you I’d be looking for a good water relaunchable twin skin or hybrid kite in the 9-10m size. I think this is really the best vehicle for light wind flatwater free ride.
WA
1000 posts
Did you actually mod the peaks or just running shorter lines? if you ran a standard bar with the 5m peak you already have a kitefoiling setup
93 posts
I bought Peaks already converted into parawings - lines shortened, home made bar for parawing.