Parawing question

A week ago
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
Weatherman12
Weatherman12
NSW
15 posts
NSW, 15 posts
21 Sep 2026 7:34am
Hey,

im 67 kilos, been kiting for 10+years and prone foiling/DW sup for 3 years..

I want to get a para wing, is a 3m pocket rocket big enough for the learning process… I’ve got a 6ft 100 litre sunova…

im east coast Aus, so 15 to 25 normally when it comes, which it hasn’t been…

ta,

🤙
NathanG
NathanG
NSW
145 posts
NSW, 145 posts
21 Sep 2026 8:02am
Yep, 3m at your weight sounds good to me. No waves or swell and whitecaps will help in your first few sessions.

I started a year back on Ozone PR v1 3.6m and downwind foil and board (but weigh 95kg).

A lot of fun and you risk not using your DW paddle when it’s windy anymore.
WhiteSalmon
WhiteSalmon
WA
4 posts
WA, 4 posts
21 Sep 2026 7:34am
I learned on a 3m PRv2, at ~65 kg, 66l midlength, and Armstrong 780 foil. I was super happy learning on that size in the gorge. The 3m covers the gorge's version of light to moderate days.
CH3MTR4IL5
CH3MTR4IL5
WA
999 posts
WA, 999 posts
21 Sep 2026 10:59am
to be a voice of dissent, if you have the option I would go the 3.6m. Pretty much the only thing you can do wrong learning to para is not having enough fabric and if you have your DW skills dialed then its only going to be used for the pop up and you can carry a little more power.
PeteSpeed
PeteSpeed
10 posts
10 posts
23 Sep 2026 2:56pm
CH3MTR4IL5 said..
to be a voice of dissent, if you have the option I would go the 3.6m. Pretty much the only thing you can do wrong learning to para is not having enough fabric and if you have your DW skills dialed then its only going to be used for the pop up and you can carry a little more power.



I certainly agree here! Don't buy too small - rather a little overpowered than the opposite! It also depends on PW type/version/brand - some have bigger wind range than others!
Go for the ones (mostly newer v2 - v3 ) with big wind range.
And not everybody sails in the Gorge or Maui with BIG consistent winds......
bigtone667
bigtone667
NSW
1569 posts
NSW, 1569 posts
23 Sep 2026 6:04pm
Based on recent El Nino east coast of Australia weather patterns, I would go somewhere between 4m and 5m at your weight.

Nothing more frustrating than being underpowered.

Buy a cheap second hand V2, they all work.
masse
masse
68 posts
68 posts
24 Sep 2026 9:52pm
Still learning... but I actually used a 4.3 PW (777 Hybrid) to learn. Think that it has been good, 82 kgs on a 90 litre mid board. Also have a 3.0 Hybrid, but in many ways the 4.3 is easier since it is less sensitive to input. To me, 3.6 / 4.3 or thereabouts seems to be used by many to learn.
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply