Sanding front wing tips

Thursday
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
kookfoil4
kookfoil4
19 posts
19 posts
8 Oct 2026 6:29am
Hi,

Since the prevailing opinion is that moustache style foils breach better, and that many people chopped tips off foils previously (e.g. hs1250), would there be any benefit to telling an old foil and sanding the under side of the tip, just to create a few mm of leading edge dihedral? Or terrible idea?

Thinking about doing this to an old hps980 that has more lift than I need.
WhiteSalmon
WhiteSalmon
WA
6 posts
WA, 6 posts
8 Oct 2026 8:37am
You'd be dramatically changing the foil section and wouldn't be significantly changing the angle at which the foil pierces the water surface. You'd also end up with the safety risk of a sharp foil tip. I've never tried it, but I doubt it'd work out well.
But if it's an old foil that doesn't have much value, experiment away. You'll learn something, if nothing else.
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply