Toeside in parawing

Today
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
tartine
tartine
12 posts
12 posts
4 Oct 2026 11:59pm
Hey folks,
So if you toeside when going upwind you are a bad person and will end up in hell, ok...

But does it make sense , for a beginner to learn to get up, taxi and more importantly fly in your weak stance in parallel of your strong one or it is waste of energy?

Because I saw a video of a guy showing how to get up and flying with a parawing and he did it toeside. It surprised me because I would assume such experienced guy and would do it heelside no matter what. That made me question me trying to learn it both side.
tartine
tartine
12 posts
12 posts
5 Oct 2026 12:10am
And yes, I switch to parawing after only a few session of winging.
apfoil
apfoil
5 posts
5 posts
5 Oct 2026 1:16am
getting up toeside is no more difficult than heelside, sometimes easier depending on direction of bumps/ wind because it naturally points you more downwind vs going heelside. in my mind the coordination of pumping is always going to be better on my strong side, so no real advantage to getting up switch. i'm still dialing in switch riding, but i imagine once the foot switch on foil is dialed there isn't a ton of benefit to getting up switch. getting up switch with an inflatable wing is super inefficient because you can't generate enough power pumping the wing
tartine
tartine
12 posts
12 posts
5 Oct 2026 1:22am
apfoil said..
getting up toeside is no more difficult than heelside, sometimes easier depending on direction of bumps/ wind because it naturally points you more downwind vs going heelside. in my mind the coordination of pumping is always going to be better on my strong side, so no real advantage to getting up switch. i'm still dialing in switch riding, but i imagine once the foot switch on foil is dialed there isn't a ton of benefit to getting up switch. getting up switch with an inflatable wing is super inefficient because you can't generate enough power pumping the wing


Thanks, that is what I secretly wanted to hear.
I had also that impression that if chop is not perfectly downwind aligned then one side will be harder to get on.
maxpwr
maxpwr
QLD
83 posts
QLD, 83 posts
5 Oct 2026 6:39am
apfoil said..
getting up switch with an inflatable wing is super inefficient because you can't generate enough power pumping the wing


Do you mean toeside?
AnyBoard
AnyBoard
NSW
500 posts
NSW, 500 posts
5 Oct 2026 7:46am
tartine said..

apfoil said..
getting up toeside is no more difficult than heelside, sometimes easier depending on direction of bumps/ wind because it naturally points you more downwind vs going heelside. in my mind the coordination of pumping is always going to be better on my strong side, so no real advantage to getting up switch. i'm still dialing in switch riding, but i imagine once the foot switch on foil is dialed there isn't a ton of benefit to getting up switch. getting up switch with an inflatable wing is super inefficient because you can't generate enough power pumping the wing



Thanks, that is what I secretly wanted to hear.
I had also that impression that if chop is not perfectly downwind aligned then one side will be harder to get on.


If you stick with the taxi and getting upwind on your weak side you will learn to foil up wind nearly as quick on your weak side as on your good side. Pretty soon you will be better than that guy on the video because he not going to ever learn to go up wind effectively and more importantly comfortably right across the wind range.
To say getting up toeside is just as easy is not really true in that it can work but in very good wind in a tiny range.
The only people that defend the toe side only approach are the ones who never learnt to ride upwind both ways and they are the last people to get an opinion on it.

WhiteSalmon
WhiteSalmon
WA
5 posts
WA, 5 posts
5 Oct 2026 5:09am
Absolutely learn to get up, taxi and get on foil in your weak stance. You'll find yourself very limited if you don't. I didn't allow myself to favor a stance for my first few years of foiling, and am glad I approached it that way.

I'll sometimes get up on foil toeside. It shouldn't be a beginner's plan A.
Holoholo
Holoholo
261 posts
261 posts
5 Oct 2026 5:43am
Totally viable, lots of people that foil/sail switch but still prefer to pump up onto foil in their strong stance going toeside, then switch to get upwind. .
apfoil
apfoil
5 posts
5 posts
5 Oct 2026 6:19am
maxpwr said..

apfoil said..
getting up switch with an inflatable wing is super inefficient because you can't generate enough power pumping the wing



Do you mean toeside?


Yes exactly what I meant .

Despite the naysayers, I still think getting up to foil toeside is not a detriment for parawing. The advantage is that you can go one handed and have your arm out to counterbalances actually a more balanced position vs heel side where both arms are sort of on one side of the board
Youngbreezy
Youngbreezy
WA
1300 posts
WA, 1300 posts
5 Oct 2026 6:51am
For me personally getting on foil toeside is my stronger side especially in lighter winds or underpowered situations. When I say it’s my stronger side I mean I get up sooner than if I was healside in my preferred stance and much sooner than if I was riding heel side switch stance.


When getting up toeside your board naturally wants to point at a good downwind angle to get going, for some reason the ergonomics of pumping the board and foil work well for me toeside and usually for my local conditions toeside lines up much better with the bumps and getting a good bump assist to get going. I think this also has a bit to do with what sort of parawing your riding. On my PT skins they prefer a more deep downwind get up which is better toeside.



Once up on foil I will switch feet and go upwind heelside switch stance. I think this is definitely the best way to do it. I’ve heard plenty of guys say they can get just as good of an angle going upwind toeside but I think your VMG will be better overall if you ride switch. You can handle gusts much better, it’s more comfortable and if you only ride in one stance all the time you unevenly load your body and can cause strains and pains.
eppo
eppo
WA
9800 posts
WA, 9800 posts
5 Oct 2026 1:40pm
Youngbreezy said..
For me personally getting on foil toeside is my stronger side especially in lighter winds or underpowered situations. When I say it’s my stronger side I mean I get up sooner than if I was healside in my preferred stance and much sooner than if I was riding heel side switch stance.


When getting up toeside your board naturally wants to point at a good downwind angle to get going, for some reason the ergonomics of pumping the board and foil work well for me toeside and usually for my local conditions toeside lines up much better with the bumps and getting a good bump assist to get going. I think this also has a bit to do with what sort of parawing your riding. On my PT skins they prefer a more deep downwind get up which is better toeside.



Once up on foil I will switch feet and go upwind heelside switch stance. I think this is definitely the best way to do it. I’ve heard plenty of guys say they can get just as good of an angle going upwind toeside but I think your VMG will be better overall if you ride switch. You can handle gusts much better, it’s more comfortable and if you only ride in one stance all the time you unevenly load your body and can cause strains and pains.


Totally agree. When it’s light on the west coast getting up heelside (my strong side) can be near nigh impossible because you are fighting against the runners coming at you - which kills your speed. I’ve found getting on your toes, use a runner then pump up almost like you are on a paddle board works best.

Infact sometimes (like today) the runners were highly stacked and coming in at an angle that meant when on your feet you were almost pointing directly into them. Turned on my toes and easy up.

Def worth learning to switch feet - it feels weird so I do avoid it far too often - and i can go upwind well on my toes from the 20 odd years of kiting - but you can never point as well as when in switch stance heelside.
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply