Wingfoil database/wiki ?

A week ago
Reply
Register to post, see what you've read, and subscribe to topics.
tartine
tartine
9 posts
9 posts
20 Sep 2026 11:03pm
Hi folks,
Is there somewhere an "exhaustive enough" "sort of database/wiki" about wingfoil?
As a newcomer I found it extremely hard to figure out what gear is compatible with what, what discipline it is targeting.
(Feels like brands are making their best to name things in a way that never helps)
Any silly manga or videogame end up have fluffy wiki: never happened for foil?
martyj4
martyj4
541 posts
541 posts
21 Sep 2026 6:16am
Yeah tartine. It's a tricky one. I think there's been so much gear come out with manufacturers doing updates on gear that then becomes not reverse compatible with previous versions, not to mention foil board track placement and how it works with some manufacturers and not with others. If you gave me that as a project, it would be a bit of a nightmare. I'd almost say the best way is to get on here and propose what you intend to buy and ask if others have experience with the combo you're thinking about getting. The other thing is some foilers will find combos great and others might not. It can be pretty subjective.
Post some combos up and ask the group what they think.
tartine
tartine
9 posts
9 posts
21 Sep 2026 4:58pm
Thanks for offering your help, I will certainly ask when I want to upgrade my setup.

The thing is I already starting creating gathering data in a big spreadsheet for before buying a board, and then I thought that it could be an idea to create a sort of app that for everyone.

Just checking before it does not already exist and if people actually care too.

Would it be great to quickly know the weight of any part ?
berowne
berowne
NSW
1589 posts
NSW, 1589 posts
23 Sep 2026 6:40pm
One of the shops with a YT channel were threatening to list all the foils…
berowne
berowne
NSW
1589 posts
NSW, 1589 posts
24 Sep 2026 8:02am
Maybe Walt and Dylan from Xfoils,
berowne
berowne
NSW
1589 posts
NSW, 1589 posts
24 Sep 2026 8:06am
Closest I found is (another forum…🤐)
forum.progressionproject.com/t/favorite-surf-foils-2026/13717/6

flatchat
flatchat
WA
97 posts
WA, 97 posts
24 Sep 2026 10:33am
I would try one of the chatbots to 'help' make a decision. The prompts you use might try should include social media reviews, products available in your area and most importantly ask the chatbot for a prompt. This should then provide a prompt which will ask for some specifics around your abilities and conditions. If buying 2nd hand, then again the review on that specific model can be a good starting point. As with all things chatbot, it should only be used as a guide to finding a suitable setup. enjoy.
ZeroVix
ZeroVix
383 posts
383 posts
25 Sep 2026 1:58am
tartine said..
Thanks for offering your help, I will certainly ask when I want to upgrade my setup.

The thing is I already starting creating gathering data in a big spreadsheet for before buying a board, and then I thought that it could be an idea to create a sort of app that for everyone.

Just checking before it does not already exist and if people actually care too.

Would it be great to quickly know the weight of any part ?


You want to create an app for what? Every few months someone comes along and tries to create a data base or app suggestion. You can't take the data from a wing and incorporate it into some data driven findings alone.
tartine
tartine
9 posts
9 posts
25 Sep 2026 2:29pm
I surely do not want to create a chatbot or something to hold so someone's hand and even less trying to make a commercial app.
The real starting point is, if I want to buy a new board or a new wing, can I get the weight ? I found it really hard and even if it is published it is not that easy to get.
Or I want an AFS silk v19 or whatever, what are the rest of the gear that can go with it.
This is purely data driven.
Then people could also put the setup they are happy with, then you can have a cloud of points that tells you if what you are looking for is common or ,at best, original.
goldenbreeze
goldenbreeze
38 posts
38 posts
25 Sep 2026 3:22pm
I think you can create an agent/project within any AI on a newer LLM with specific instructions and you’ll find what you want.
Just scrapes reddit, yt, other forums, etc.
Should really be able to cover most of your needs.
hilly
hilly
WA
8203 posts
WA, 8203 posts
25 Sep 2026 5:20pm
The main problem is everyone has a different level of skill and desire for what they want to accomplish. What I like is different to most other people so demo is the only way to go. Shops and brand reps like Stand up shop in Fremantle are awesome in giving out demo gear for you to try. That is the best way to find the perfect setup for you is to ride it. I have wasted a lot of money listening to other people’s views on foils and wings.
tartine
tartine
9 posts
9 posts
26 Sep 2026 5:13pm
hilly said..
The main problem is everyone has a different level of skill and desire for what they want to accomplish. What I like is different to most other people so demo is the only way to go. Shops and brand reps like Stand up shop in Fremantle are awesome in giving out demo gear for you to try. That is the best way to find the perfect setup for you is to ride it. I have wasted a lot of money listening to other people’s views on foils and wings.



I can only agree with the common advices about, start by taking lessons, befriend with a local shop and riders, go when wind is 20 knots-ish and no chop, try stuff, do not go alone, etc.

But then you are in a place with barely no shop shop around, no other riders where/when you go, and not much of a kite or sail background (and an finite budget).

What is left is mostly influencers' s enthusiastic videos/podcast and forum like this one where people keep questioning each other objectivity (which I am tempted to find healthy).

I found on on a thread that a guy complained to discover that a high tier board they ordered was way heavier than expected. This is objective data that people can make available to each other, does not involve human or AI bias , could help you filter out a lot of product when you have to pick one.

Then if you gather data of people about their gear, (what they find useful to share) then you know what they mostly did not sell after the first session. It is not the best reference but that look like a better starting point that the current statu quo.

And that tells you about the market (including second hand) and what is compatible with what easily.

Tha may free up room for more involved threads here?

But if 90% of people around have a gang and a friendly local shop and opportunities to test before buying then, fair enough, such wiki/DB is not justified.
Please Register, or first...
Topics Subscribe Reply