Where did you surf today?

Created by Simondo > 9 months ago, 23 Mar 2013
Macaha
QLD, 21870 posts
27 Oct 2017 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
obct said..
The local point late in the arvo, not a good place to be if the sun is low and there's not a lot of water, as my fin found out

By the time I saw the reef it was too late, all I could do was run to the nose to try to unload the fin. It must have worked, because there was no other damage.

I got luck too, I was far enough forward to land on the other side of the rock where there was a little bit more water.

Looks like I'll be doing some sanding and filling tonight.

Did it blow out your box or snap the screw? those plastic screws are good for saving the box.

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
27 Oct 2017 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Ouch Obs,hope it comes up alright with repairs,put a pic up when you've fixed it

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
27 Oct 2017 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

I was going to just buy another one and repair this one it at my leisure, because I don't think 70 clams is a lot to pay for a fin you really like, and having a spare is a good investemnt. But Bennetts don't open till 9 on saturday and there may be some swell in the morning.

I'll just quickly rub back the lumpy bits, give the leading edge a coat of very hot sanding resin, rub that back and then give it another coat and sand.

Should be done in an hour.

Just so long as it's all sealed, I don't care too much about pretty.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
27 Oct 2017 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Better rebuilding a fin than teeth ... Ouch

Like mac asked, did the fin box survive? As that would have been one solid whack

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
27 Oct 2017 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

You're all starting to worry me now, I'm going out tonight with a flashlight to take a good look at it.

I didn't know you could get plastic fin screws, I may ask about them tomorrow at the local shops.

thePup
13831 posts
27 Oct 2017 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Get that sorted champion - you might be up against the Asea (cough , ahem & a bent knee hop on one sparkling leg) in a few weeks

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
27 Oct 2017 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
obct said..
You're all starting to worry me now, I'm going out tonight with a flashlight to take a good look at it.

I didn't know you could get plastic fin screws, I may ask about them tomorrow at the local shops.

I've bought something from True Ames I haven't looked at, Skeg savers or something.
I think the screw is normal, but the nut thing in the board is plastic so it snaps before fin or box.

Macaha
QLD, 21870 posts
27 Oct 2017 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nozza said..

obct said..

I've bought something from True Ames I haven't looked at, Skeg savers or something.
I think the screw is normal, but the nut thing in the board is plastic so it snaps before fin or box.

Yep they are the ones I was referring too.metal screw with plastic nut, make sense.if you surfings shallow breaks.
They are available in a lot of shops.

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
27 Oct 2017 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

It may look like it's still mortally wounded, but I promise you, it's been put back to it's original shape, sealed and polished with wet and dry.

I still may get an identical spare

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
28 Oct 2017 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

Nice work obct

No surf here,but it still a amzing day in the water...

Until some pumped up gym bloke with a limp tried to take me out with his boat....

I could not see the drivers face as i was blinded by the huge amount of white teeth showing due to the sinister laughing going on

But the laugh sounded like Macs

SP
10979 posts
28 Oct 2017 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Was the boat red, black and white?

Great job on the repair Ob.

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
28 Oct 2017 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Just had a few small muckabout ones in town on the 10 footerwater is great,crystal clear

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
29 Oct 2017 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Finally got out there today for the first time in a while. It was small, dribbly, bad banks and Sunday crowd. Still got a few but it was pretty hopeless.

thePup
13831 posts
29 Oct 2017 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Few little wedgy bits greeted us - better than what was forecast anyway .... whales very close in today just inside the headland
Lancey in fine fettle on his personal bank you know

LanceF
NSW, 249 posts
29 Oct 2017 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..
Few little wedgy bits greeted us - better than what was forecast anyway .... whales very close in today just inside the headland
Lancey in fine fettle on his personal bank you know

Much better yesterday but whales were close & very active

Al G
NSW, 7652 posts
29 Oct 2017 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

So ya's had a whale of a time hey

yeah there's a fair few here atm to

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
29 Oct 2017 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Well done fellas.

obct
NSW, 3487 posts
29 Oct 2017 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Longy I the morning and mona vale in the arvo. But because I have to wear a paddleing glove on my right hand, thanks to an argument with a mandolin slicer, my right shoulder and neck are killing me

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Oct 2017 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Dismal weekend of surf.

So keen. Almost got as many boards as mac to try out.

thePup
13831 posts
29 Oct 2017 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..
Dismal weekend of surf.

Ahhhh Lacey .... see this is what happens when you softcock it & stay at one spot

Macaha
QLD, 21870 posts
29 Oct 2017 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..

laceys lane said..
Dismal weekend of surf.

Ahhhh Lacey .... see this is what happens when you softcock it & stay at one spot

Geez ,I've known Lacey for a million years and we chased waves for years, thats why he is a little gun shy on road trips.I've surfed Indo, Bali, Nusa,Hawaii,Fiji and every surfable beach in QLD and a truck load in NSW's.

What ya got pup

thePup
13831 posts
29 Oct 2017 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

I got nuthin green away ya dickheads

Macaha
QLD, 21870 posts
29 Oct 2017 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..
I got nuthin green away ya dickheads

Oh come on mate a little fun

vanders1
QLD, 3808 posts
29 Oct 2017 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

History is history, live in the now!

Macaha
QLD, 21870 posts
29 Oct 2017 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vanders1 said..

I'm living for now, but thats been a busted up 4 months give me my prime back

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
29 Oct 2017 7:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vanders1 said..

well mr v, live now and surf more than once or twice between 4 month rd trips.

seriously. more in the water time.

cheers

bazz61
QLD, 3570 posts
30 Oct 2017 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

No sign of Muriel Hotten ..... at the bowly ... blown strong nrthly on Goola head.... waitn for the s wind change ...hoping A may fire ....

thePup
13831 posts
30 Oct 2017 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bazz61 said..
No sign of Muriel Hotten ..... at the bowly ... blown strong nrthly on Goola head.... waitn for the s wind change ...hoping A may fire ....

Muriel , Beulah Itzabeast , Gertrude Gumbostockings & all the other chicks are saving themselves for Long John Obct mate you can throw popping corn in the air & watch it explode it gets that steamy when his lordship is in town

Macaha
QLD, 21870 posts
30 Oct 2017 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
thePup said..

it gets that steamy when his lordship is in town

haha

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
30 Oct 2017 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Could have gone back out into the worst banks ever but brushed it and went fishing with the flyrod .Got a few touches but no fish. It was better than being at work. Big southerly here now and a low forming off the coast some some swell on the way.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Where did you surf today?" started by Simondo