Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

Windsurfing Foiling 2018

Created by TASSIEROCKS > 9 months ago, 30 Apr 2017
TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1632 posts
30 Apr 2017 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like all the big brands will be windsurf foiling in 2018. Naish is doing a windsurfing foil and board along with a small sails NeilPryde have their product on their website now...

I plan to GPS windsurf on windy days over 15 knots and windsurf/foil in the light stuff

Keep an eye out for pictures of these products from all brands on the web and please post here.

cheers Russ

seanhogan
2902 posts
30 Apr 2017 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

starboard :
starboard-japan.com/catalog/starboard_wind_foil2017.pdf

seanhogan
2902 posts
30 Apr 2017 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

&app=desktop

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1632 posts
30 Apr 2017 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
&app=desktop

Thanks Sean,

This stuff is totally going to get me through the cold Winter days.

Stay Happy come on spring, and keep the videos coming.

Cheers Russ

Rob11
182 posts
30 Apr 2017 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Has Starboard already killed it by doing 4 different foils? Whose gonna get a slalom or race foil seriously?

Reminds me of the 90s when it all went to specialized and the sport died

seanhogan
2902 posts
30 Apr 2017 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

been told they're doing a pro kit package (with couple of wings on one mast/fuselage)

for the average user my guess is the GT will be the go to foil

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1632 posts
30 Apr 2017 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
been told they're doing a pro kit package (with couple of wings on one mast/fuselage)

for the average user my guess is the GT will be the go to foil

I hope most go for the basic foils so that it stays an easy light wind fun adventure rather that another extreme sport for at least a few years. It could encourage some of the windsurfers and families back to light wind fun sailing. Lets face it most of us are more into having a laugh and a nice beer after a sail than worrying about who came first. If I want to go fast I will get the windsurfer out for a high wind blast...

geared4knots
TAS, 2370 posts
30 Apr 2017 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Russ,
i am watching and keen,
Dorans upwind of boat ramp, pond no way!

bhc
VIC, 82 posts
30 Apr 2017 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

I've read somewhere that you'd need 2sqm smaller sail for foiling than traditional freeriding... Question to those who have done some foiling: Is that reasonably accurate according to your experience? If so being able to go out when it's 13kn instead of 16kn with my 7.0 gator sounds great...instead of investing in a big rig around 9.0sqm

The other dream I have is an inflatable board for foiling....who knows may be one day the two new technologies will be possible to combine and make it even more practical and affordable.

joe windsurf
1359 posts
30 Apr 2017 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

the ones I have been watching - are the ones offering deep tuttle (no insert required)
and a base plate (less stress on the fin box)
ideally alloy (save some serious $$$)
so far, this one has my attention:

and the ONLY facebook group I have joined is "Australian foilers" !!!

mark62
WA, 230 posts
1 May 2017 4:59AM
Thumbs Up

In addition to the US147 foil-slalom race, Starboard have the bigger ultrasonic 157. Looking at pictures, it has a bigger tail and Max width. It's for foil and windsurf too.

seanhogan
2902 posts
1 May 2017 5:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bhc said..
I've read somewhere that you'd need 2sqm smaller sail for foiling than traditional freeriding... Question to those who have done some foiling: Is that reasonably accurate according to your experience? If so being able to go out when it's 13kn instead of 16kn with my 7.0 gator sounds great...instead of investing in a big rig around 9.0sqm

The other dream I have is an inflatable board for foiling....who knows may be one day the two new technologies will be possible to combine and make it even more practical and affordable.

Hi BHC

Yes indeed 2m smaller than required with normal board seems right.
On this pic I'm using a no cam 6.5 on a 129 board in 10 knts. (95 kg rider)

An semi rigid/inflatable board is being designed by Mantafoils, will be practical and save a few $ on nose repair !!

Mind you if you never let go the boom (as recommended to avoid injuries) you'll also save the nose !

aussieboats
NSW, 221 posts
1 May 2017 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Will have the latest Naish board and foil for demo in Port Macquarie Mid August i hope , going to be great

aussieboats
NSW, 221 posts
1 May 2017 7:38AM
Thumbs Up

Will have the latest Naish board and foil for demo in Port Macquarie Mid August i hope , going to be great

DavMen
NSW, 1451 posts
1 May 2017 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Just Curious - why do you need an ultra expensive Slalom board with complex tail cut outs for foiling?

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6248 posts
1 May 2017 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

How hard is it to learn? You wouldn't want to stuff up and run it aground!

AUS 814
NSW, 192 posts
1 May 2017 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Here is the Manta Inflatable board "The good shark inflatable is the world first foil dedicated inflatable board for windsurfing and SUP foils.
while foiling as it catches less the wind while still maintaining high volume.A 10" removable mast track is also available for windsurf and windfoil"

they are offering the board + foil for $1895 USD

seanhogan
2902 posts
1 May 2017 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavMen said..
Just Curious - why do you need an ultra expensive Slalom board with complex tail cut outs for foiling?

pretty sure because it can also be used as a slalom board and molds are expensive so they are making the most of what they have

nbr
NSW, 266 posts
1 May 2017 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

I would assume that a big slalom board is used as it's a deep tuttle box, would this be correct?

neilpete
WA, 144 posts
1 May 2017 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..

bhc said..

Hi BHC

An semi rigid/inflatable board is being designed by Mantafoils, will be practical and save a few $ on nose repair !!

Mind you if you never let go the boom (as recommended to avoid injuries) you'll also save the nose !

Since there are, .or will be coming, . different foilboards on the market.
Different sizes, different volumes etc.

If you would be able to use a 2m smaller sail on a foil than a normal board in similar conditions.
How big of a foilboard (minimum in litres) will you be looking at for a 65 kilo rider to get you up in the air in 10 knots or less?

seanhogan
2902 posts
1 May 2017 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

It's more width dependant according to me, for 65 kg a 75 to 80 cm wide is plenty enough

My son is 63 kg for 1.80cm and uses the same foil as myself on a 77 cm wide, gets him flying in 10 knts or less with a 6.0.

snides8
WA, 1477 posts
1 May 2017 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
neilpete said..

seanhogan said..

bhc said..

Hi BHC

Since there are, .or will be coming, . different foilboards on the market.
Different sizes, different volumes etc.

If you would be able to use a 2m smaller sail on a foil than a normal board in similar conditions.
How big of a foilboard (minimum in litres) will you be looking at for a 65 kilo rider to get you up in the air in 10 knots or less?

I am using a 115ltr board (horue tiny) in 8+Knots and weigh in around 76kg

TASSIEROCKS
TAS, 1632 posts
1 May 2017 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
geared4knots said..
Russ,
i am watching and keen,
Dorans upwind of boat ramp, pond no way!

Hi Damo,

Sure looks like fun. Dorans here we come.

I am looking forward to the Naish kit

Cheers Russ

AUS1111
WA, 3048 posts
1 May 2017 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..

So what happens if you use the same sized sail you would normally use on a conventional fin?

lotofwind
NSW, 4794 posts
1 May 2017 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Its good to see this new foiling craze taking windsurfing into the future and all the hardcore diehard polers jumping on board.

Imax1
VIC, 1430 posts
1 May 2017 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lotofwind said..
Its good to see this new foiling craze taking windsurfing into the future and all the hardcore diehard polers jumping on board.

Interesting , will foiling take on or is it a exciting fad ( sailing , kiting , supping ) ?
Is it like that very groovy jet ski propelled flying water squirting thing that looks so ace but nobody does ?
It may sound like I'm negative , but I would love to give it a go

seanhogan
2902 posts
2 May 2017 2:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS1111 said..

seanhogan said..

So what happens if you use the same sized sail you would normally use on a conventional fin?

You're overpowered and it's very scary

DarrylG
WA, 163 posts
2 May 2017 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..

AUS1111 said..

seanhogan said..

You're overpowered and it's very scary

Agree
tried a 9.4 on sunday
hard work ??

sboardcrazy
NSW, 6248 posts
2 May 2017 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

So how hard is it to learn?

seanhogan
2902 posts
2 May 2017 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sboardcrazy said..
So how hard is it to learn?

that's Julien Ventalon (french aussie) on his first hour of foiling yesterday.....
with the correct coaching and the right gear you're flying on your first day.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"Windsurfing Foiling 2018" started by TASSIEROCKS