Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

Burrum Windfest 2017

Created by WindWanderers > 9 months ago, 8 Dec 2016
WindWanderers
127 posts
8 Dec 2016 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Folks,

Just a heads up that work is progressing towards running another Burrum Windfest in 2017. As always this event is run by volunteers who have jobs, family and other commitments to manage.

We are working with our new race director Dave Sandos to complete the MSQ documentation to gain approval to run the event. Each year this documentation is further reviewed by MSQ with safety being the number one priority. It most likely that due to the resources at our disposal and volunteers numbers only one speed coarse at a time will operate. We are seeking a Jet Ski/ Rescue Board and operator for this coming event to satisfy MSQ so if you know anyone the can help please get in touch as we will pay accordingly for the service.

Nominated Dates are Saturday 25th March to Friday 31st March with Friday as a reserve day.

Committee – Dave Sandos Race Director, Anne Lewis current club Secretary,
Dylan Tusler KA72 and online registerations.
Geoff Ringe, , Glenn Young – Race Officers.
Event Numbers – Capped at 75
EVENT SCHEDULE Registration Saturday 25th March and late registration Sunday
BRIEFING Sunday 10am followed by Sign on
COMPETITION DAYS Sunday 26th - Thursday 30th March. ( Friday reserve day)
Presentation Friday 31st March 1st April charity SUP race ?? - Saturday morning (entry fee NOT included in Windfest entry)
EVENT FEES – WindWanderers members $75 Until 28th February. Non-Members $105 until 28th February. Non-Club Members and all others $135 until 25th March.Event Safety – Delegation of Authority with Race Director. Course support to be one Jet Ski and VMR team.
ONLINE REGISTRATION - OPEN 15 JANUARY

IF YOU WISH TO CONTRIBUTE TO RUNNING THIS EVENT IN ANYWAY PLEASE LET US KNOW.

Macroscien
QLD, 4165 posts
8 Dec 2016 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Hopefully MacroBoat will be there but rather as a personal vessel and video platform so, doesn't count as rescue boat.Maybe even something spectacular happen next year , something like spectacular catapults that we managed to have on the video last year ? or breaking 50 knots barrier on the runs in perfect wind condition that are forecast for next events ?Yeep this time I wish to spent more time on the water and lees behind camera, so somebody interested I am happy to provide my boat as a video platform for somebody interested, drone operators etc ,

byronmc
NSW, 358 posts
15 Dec 2016 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Very keen to go again.

Rolz
QLD, 45 posts
7 Feb 2017 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Registration is now open on KA72 website :)

Dylan72
QLD, 543 posts
7 Feb 2017 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Sign on numbers are capped again this year, however the limit has been increased and we hope not to run out of places! The registration form at ka72.com ( www.ka72.com/Windfest-Rego ) displays at the top how many registrations remain available, and will auto-magically close the registrations in the event that we run out.

If anyone has any technical feedback on the registration process (good or bad!), I'd really appreciate hearing it. Feel free to email dylan@ka72.com

da vecta
QLD, 2285 posts
7 Feb 2017 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

Worked a treat for me!

Dylan72
QLD, 543 posts
7 Feb 2017 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

First day and more than 30 sailors registered. Phew! Still around 45 available.

byronmc
NSW, 358 posts
8 Feb 2017 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all the people involved in making this happen I have booked and coming back for my second year and bringing some NSW friends with me. cannot wait to catch up with every one and sail in a great spot.

Richiefish
QLD, 5385 posts
8 Feb 2017 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

I'm in.

snorkel692
QLD, 96 posts
10 Feb 2017 5:34AM
Thumbs Up

I'm in. Thanks very much to those making it happen. Great event!

aussieboats
NSW, 196 posts
18 Feb 2017 9:33AM
Thumbs Up

Is the barge happening this year

Macroscien
QLD, 4165 posts
18 Feb 2017 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

I will be good idea if we could organize at the time some educational programs : Like a Gybe Clinic ?

jirvin4505
QLD, 819 posts
18 Feb 2017 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macroscien said..
I will be good idea if we could organize at the time some educational programs : Like a Gybe Clinic ?

thats my plan for the flat water lusciousness of burrum - work on my gybes

A clinic would be awesome - prepared to pay for some coaching time

cheers jeff

Alewi62
QLD, 142 posts
19 Feb 2017 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

In regards to the barge. The information as supplied in an earlier post is

The barge is available as a user pays service. A minimum of 10 bookings is required to run the service. Cost is estimated to be around $25 per person per day. The service cannot run to the northern course. This service is available to sightseers. Bookings can be made direct to the barge operator.
Sailors will be picked up at the new boat ramp 9lions Park) taken out to the course where the sailor will unload their equipment. The barge will return at the end of the days sailing to pick sailors and equipment up. The barge will not stay on the course.
Burrum River Quest 0409530003 burrumriverquest2live.com.au

ballast
QLD, 328 posts
1 Mar 2017 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

Morning all.

First time to Windfest this year. Looking forward very much to the event.

Just a few questions about logistics. It looks like a long hike to the course. What do most do for getting gear there?
Is it possible to sail up fairly quickly? I am wondering what to do if I make it all the way up and find I have chosen the wrong gear. From last years reports, it seems it is not a real easy trip.

Can you take a couple of sails and water etc if you take the barge, or is it limited for space?

I do have a tinny at home, but it hasn't seen much use over the last few years, so will need some TLC before I am game to take it on the water, or on the road for that matter.
Do a few people do this, would it be worth while taking it instead of a trailer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John340
QLD, 1684 posts
1 Mar 2017 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

The hike from the rigging area at Torbanlea St to the water is about 300m. The trek back after a long session is hard work.

I've never changed rigs or board during a session at Burrum. The wind tends to be reasonable consistent once it comes in. If it kicks in more once you are on the water, apply more downhaul and hang on. Also I once walked home from the 5th beacon when the wind died and I was on my 55 wide speed board. If your worried, always use a board that can float you and you can always sail home.

The sailing sessions are tide dependent. The longest session this year, if the wind co-operates will be about 4 hours. If you want water while you are sailing, a camel back is your best best. I hydrate before I sail and don't take anything with me. Less complication and the after session beer always taste better this way. Some sailors bring small backpacks with water, food, fins etc that they leave on the sand bank. It's a personnel choice.

The barge is not really an option. You have to organsise a group of 10 sailors to put up $25 a day for its use, it can't service the northern run and location where it is launched is 300m away from where you rig.

I would bring the trailer so that you have the widest choice of gear to best take advantage of the wind conditions.

ballast
QLD, 328 posts
1 Mar 2017 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks John.
300m is fine. Looking at Nearmap I was thinking more like 3km.
Cheers, Brad.

aussieboats
NSW, 196 posts
2 Mar 2017 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Last year i sailed to the speed strip after the tide had started running out but the speed strip was covered , makes it much easier and than just wait for the tide to drop and enjoy the view or just sail around in the rougher water until the comp starts , really not that bad once you get use it , obviously if the wind stops and your on the outer speed run that can be a long walk

BRUCE H
NSW, 151 posts
3 Mar 2017 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

At the start of the session the tide is running out but at the end of the session it is running in hard. I am guessing that anyone stuck with no wind on the southern bank (the one that sticks out into the bay) could just sit on their board & come in at about the same speed as walking. Please avoid the "s" word in commenting on this idea.

Mark's comment was exactly what I did last year & I found that going out early made it easier to get to the northern run as the banks had lots of water and also that sailing in the rough water, not actually very rough, between the south & north runs was some of the most enjoyable sailing I have done in years. Its a great place.

F2
QLD, 168 posts
3 Mar 2017 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your comment Bruce, Burrum is a great place to sail,in high and low tides and in all the years I have been sailing it I have only had to walk back in two times when the wind dropped out, we will have a few boats on hand if any body gets into trouble at the event and needs help.

ballast
QLD, 328 posts
8 Mar 2017 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the replies. They have helped a great deal.

Another question, just out of interest. I guess I can understand limiting the sail size to 9.5, but I am just wondering why the boards were limited to 85cm wide?

As my username might suggest I am not a light weight. My most used board is 90cm wide, certainly not faster than my smaller boards, but I can sail it comfortably in a fair range of wind.

I know that if the wind is light I will be slogging along and not planning on the smaller boards. Where as I would have a chance of getting the larger going in a gust. A lot to do with technique, I realize, but that is where I am at.

Not expecting to break any records, except hopefully PB's. So if the wind isn't up I guess I can take the larger board out and declare it, just to get a more enjoyable sail?

Just curious.

Cheers again, Brad.

F2
QLD, 168 posts
8 Mar 2017 8:09PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Brad, sorry but if you go in the contest the board size is no bigger than 85 cm wide and 9.5 sails, they are the rules mate.

waricle
QLD, 510 posts
8 Mar 2017 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Well Brad, I don't know..if they'll allow someone like me then I don't know whether I should go??

ballast
QLD, 328 posts
9 Mar 2017 6:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
waricle said..
Well Brad, I don't know..if they'll allow someone like me then I don't know whether I should go??

Hmmm. Did no one warn them about you???

ballast
QLD, 328 posts
9 Mar 2017 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
F2 said..
Hi Brad, sorry but if you go in the contest the board size is no bigger than 85 cm wide and 9.5 sails, they are the rules mate.

Okay, thanks.

Dylan72
QLD, 543 posts
12 Mar 2017 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone who is signed up to the Windfest 2017 can now access the group page for the event. Until the event kicks off, there is a temporary GP5 table listing files posted in March by people signed on for the event. Get a sneak peek at the sailors coming to Windfest 2017.

www.ka72.com/Groups/Group-Activity/groupid/40

Boombuster
QLD, 467 posts
15 Mar 2017 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Is there any categories we are to aim for published yet for the event.
Thanks

John340
QLD, 1684 posts
15 Mar 2017 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Boombuster said..
Is there any categories we are to aim for published yet for the event.
Thanks

Dave Sandos can confirm, but I recall reading somewhere that they are 2 sec, 5x10, Hour, NM & distance

Jacko51
SA, 130 posts
15 Mar 2017 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

Division categories here at 13.4 - www.ka72.com/Portals/0/media/BW 2017_sailing Instructions booklet_Jan2017.pdf
Mmm that link doesn't work

Jacko51
SA, 130 posts
15 Mar 2017 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

Try this one www.ka72.com/Windfest-Rego then the above link.

John340
QLD, 1684 posts
15 Mar 2017 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Exert from the Sailing Instructions:

13. SCORING
13.1 Speeds will be calculated using with KA72 speedreader software.
13.2 In the case of a tie, the best result on count back will be used. Judges' decision is final.
13.3 To request correction of an alleged error in the posted races or series results, a competitor shall request in writing a Scoring Enquiry at Speed HQ.
13.4 Divisions as below Competitors can only enter one division (Age as of 1st January 2017)
- Open 20-44 years - Overall, 5x10, Nautical Mile, 2 sec, 1 hour
- Masters 45-59 years - Overall, 5x10, Nautical Mile, 2 sec, 1 hour
- Legends 60 + years - Overall, 5x10, Nautical Mile, 2 sec
- Women - 5x10, Nautical Mile, 2 sec
- Youth Under 19 - 2 sec peak
13.5 Rashies
1. The Rashie division in the competition will show results from the previous day only
2. The colours in the Rashie division depend on your DOB recorded in your ka72 account. DOB with a year of 1957 (for the 2017 competition) or earlier will appear red, and later DOB will appear yellow.
3. Each day's score is based on adding together the results from the day (a bit like a GP5 without the Alpha) 1hr + 2Sec + 5x10 + NM
4. The highest Red and Yellow scores for each day win the Red and Yellow rashie for the next day

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Queensland

"Burrum Windfest 2017" started by WindWanderers