Forums > Wing Foiling General

DUOTONE Slick 2024 - any rumours yet?

Created by riverripper 7 months ago, 29 Nov 2023
riverripper
11 posts
29 Nov 2023 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Any news/videos/images spotted on the upcoming 2024 DUOTONE Slick ?
I am riding the latest 2023 model and after 30+ rides, the standard dacron strut material streches and the wing starts to bag out, due to the loss of profile tension.
Hopefully Duotone switches from the standard Dacron to Penta AX (like on the previous Slick SLS) or to an even stiffer new strutt material.
Just my five cents...

MrFish
151 posts
30 Nov 2023 4:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
riverripper said..
Any news/videos/images spotted on the upcoming 2024 DUOTONE Slick ?
I am riding the latest 2023 model and after 30+ rides, the standard dacron strut material streches and the wing starts to bag out, due to the loss of profile tension.
Hopefully Duotone switches from the standard Dacron to Penta AX (like on the previous Slick SLS) or to an even stiffer new strutt material.
Just my five cents...

Are you riding the one with the Mod3 canopy material, I believe that is the 2024 model ?

DWF
603 posts
30 Nov 2023 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

SLS is 2022 model.
Mod3 is 2023 model.
2024 model arrives in Spring 2024

Icebergmansion
WA, 69 posts
8 Dec 2023 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have a ton of sessions on the Mod3 slick and it's tight as a trampoline still, my old 2022 regular Unit became a trashbag within a few months so I think the Mod3 may actually be useful

Icebergmansion
WA, 69 posts
8 Dec 2023 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

I have a ton of sessions on the Mod3 slick and it's tight as a trampoline still, my old 2022 regular Unit became a trashbag within a few months so I think the Mod3 may actually be useful

MeonAsh
47 posts
9 Dec 2023 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Mod3 is definitely the real deal - ran 2023 Units all year (and I'm out several times a week for 3-4 hours at a time) and they are in great shape, very little stretch. Have now switched to 2024 Units.

Faff
VIC, 1186 posts
9 Dec 2023 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

No idea about the material in the Slick SLS, but the canopy on mine is still taut after more than a year. Original slicks bagged out with hardly much use in less than 6 months.

Dspace
VIC, 295 posts
10 Dec 2023 1:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..
No idea about the material in the Slick SLS, but the canopy on mine is still taut after more than a year. Original slicks bagged out with hardly much use in less than 6 months.

Same here. Got my SLS's as soon as they came out and extremely happy with everything remaining nice and tight after more than 1 1/2 seasons.

I'd really like to see a Penta TX (SLS) - Mod3 combination for next spring. I'd pay a reasonable premium for it. The D-Labs just aren't worth the big time price premium to me. Either way I figure Ken will have the 2024 Slicks dialed in nicely

Faff
VIC, 1186 posts
10 Dec 2023 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dspace said..

Faff said..

Same here. Got my SLS's as soon as they came out and extremely happy with everything remaining nice and tight after more than 1 1/2 seasons.

I'd really like to see a Penta TX (SLS) - Mod3 combination for next spring. I'd pay a reasonable premium for it. The D-Labs just aren't worth the big time price premium to me. Either way I figure Ken will have the 2024 Slicks dialed in nicely

SLS slicks are almost as light as D-Labs and pump to higher PSI. I've only tried a few other wings, but the SLS slicks feel way stiffer and more direct (maybe it's the boom?). I do wish they had better bottom end and flagged better.

wsurfn
81 posts
11 Dec 2023 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

Do you pump your SLS above the recommended psi?

wsurfn
81 posts
11 Dec 2023 1:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..

It is the same canopy material as the V1 Slick. The SLS design was a leap forward from a design standpoint. I like the SLS PentaTX frame material. Ozone uses it in their Flux V1. Armstrong apparently tried everything and chose Dacron for their XPS. My SLS canopy is not bagging out like the V1 I had, but is showing signs its use. Design is accelerating. The Armstrong XPS, Ozone Flux, even the 2024 D/Lab Unit looks great, and I have heard great things. I love the boom, but the longer front handle for one handing on the newest Units looks good enough for me. Agree, the price tag is tough, considering how fast development is.

dejavu
821 posts
11 Dec 2023 3:40AM
Thumbs Up

Faff said:

"SLS slicks are almost as light as D-Labs and pump to higher PSI. I've only tried a few other wings, but the SLS slicks feel way stiffer and more direct (maybe it's the boom?). I do wish they had better bottom end and flagged better."

I agree with you about the bottom end power of the Slick SLS -- my 4.0 Slick SLS makes my 3.5 North Mode Pro seem like a powerhouse in comparison (and the Modes aren't known for their bottom end power).

max_ob
QLD, 187 posts
11 Dec 2023 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..

I agree with you about the bottom end power of the Slick SLS -- my 4.0 Slick SLS makes my 3.5 North Mode Pro seem like a powerhouse in comparison (and the Modes aren't known for their bottom end power).

I have the 4.2 Mode Pro and disagree with the blurb that they do not have good bottom end. The odd review says to size up half a metre bigger on the Mode Pro but I would suggest this is not the case.

Faff
VIC, 1186 posts
11 Dec 2023 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wsurfn said..
Do you pump your SLS above the recommended psi?

0.5 more

Faff
VIC, 1186 posts
11 Dec 2023 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dejavu said..
Faff said:

"SLS slicks are almost as light as D-Labs and pump to higher PSI. I've only tried a few other wings, but the SLS slicks feel way stiffer and more direct (maybe it's the boom?). I do wish they had better bottom end and flagged better."

Original North Mode 4.2 definitely felt more powerful than my Slick SLS 4.5, but the strut, leading edge felt bulky (not that it should make a difference), and the SLS feels stiffer and more direct.

riverripper
11 posts
12 Dec 2023 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Icebergmansion said..

After 40+ sessions on my 5.0 2023/MOD3 slick (mostly using), the wing became a "trashbag" and flutters like a flag in the wind.
Before I was riding the first version of the slick in 5.0 and had the same issue, but that happened even earlier and it was even worse.
I`ve discussed the issue with several friends, riding both MOD3 Units and Slicks and they report the same.
We came to our conclusion:
The Dacron leading edge / wing frame material can't keep its shape over that many sessions, causing the canopy area within to loose tension. The problematic Dacron area marked in red below in the sketch.
This seems to be a general construction issue that other brands should have too.
Lets hope for the next gen wings to overcome this weakness ;)

leepasty
365 posts
13 Dec 2023 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

The canopy is not Dacron it's nylon ripstop sail material and is used on most wings in different versions as well as all yacht and dinghy spinnakers, parachutes etc.
To get a light material it will stretch over time with heavier riders noticing it sooner. you can use Mylar or other laminates as used on windsurf sails such as on the reedin and Ensis did a version but people didn't like the weight although they did not bag out. there is the new allula canopy material but who knows if it will bag out and it makes the wing twice the price or more than a normal ripstop wing

MrFish
151 posts
13 Dec 2023 5:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
The canopy is not Dacron it's nylon ripstop sail material and is used on most wings in different versions as well as all yacht and dinghy spinnakers, parachutes etc.
To get a light material it will stretch over time with heavier riders noticing it sooner. you can use Mylar or other laminates as used on windsurf sails such as on the reedin and Ensis did a version but people didn't like the weight although they did not bag out. there is the new allula canopy material but who knows if it will bag out and it makes the wing twice the price or more than a normal ripstop wing

Think he is referring to the Dacron at the leading edge/tips junction as marked.
Maybe a penta leading edge with a Mod3 canopy could be a better answer.
Or a light weight molded stiffener at that junction, although I suspect it is designed to flex here to "spill" the wind like a windsurf sail twists off ?

riverripper
11 posts
13 Dec 2023 5:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MrFish said..

leepasty said..

Think he is referring to the Dacron at the leading edge/tips junction as marked.
Maybe a penta leading edge with a Mod3 canopy could be a better answer.
Or a light weight molded stiffener at that junction, although I suspect it is designed to flex here to "spill" the wind like a windsurf sail twists off ?

Correct, the red area on the black Dacron. The red line on the MOD3 canopy to visualize the flattering.
I hope so too, either Penta TX could be a replacement material or something else new.April 2024 we will know more.

DWF
603 posts
13 Dec 2023 6:01AM
Thumbs Up

It's incorrect to assume ripstop "means" nylon.

For water sports, it's always a polyester based ripstop. Tejin is most common brand name. Dacron is polyester. Mylar is polyester.

The new fancy "expensive" tech fabrics are in the polyethene family.

sunsetsailboards
456 posts
14 Dec 2023 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
riverripper said..

Icebergmansion said..

After 40+ sessions on my 5.0 2023/MOD3 slick (mostly using), the wing became a "trashbag" and flutters like a flag in the wind.
Before I was riding the first version of the slick in 5.0 and had the same issue, but that happened even earlier and it was even worse.
I`ve discussed the issue with several friends, riding both MOD3 Units and Slicks and they report the same.
We came to our conclusion:
The Dacron leading edge / wing frame material can't keep its shape over that many sessions, causing the canopy area within to loose tension. The problematic Dacron area marked in red below in the sketch.
This seems to be a general construction issue that other brands should have too.
Lets hope for the next gen wings to overcome this weakness ;)

I've long suspected this. I've been using regular and D/LAB wings.... I had assumed that the stiffer ALLULA frame would make my wings bag out (or get floppy) sooner, but my experience has been the opposite. My OG 3.5 D/LAB Unit probably had like 100 days on it and was still taut

MeonAsh
47 posts
14 Dec 2023 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
I've long suspected this. I've been using regular and D/LAB wings.... I had assumed that the stiffer ALLULA frame would make my wings bag out (or get floppy) sooner, but my experience has been the opposite. My OG 3.5 D/LAB Unit probably had like 100 days on it and was still taut

I ran the 2023 Dacron Units extensively and now the 2024 Dacron Units - very heavy usage as I'm out multiple times a week - no sign of this issue at all since the introduction of mod 3. I have seen it on Slicks though and just assumed it was a design / wing shape issue on those.

gregwho
NSW, 156 posts
14 Dec 2023 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

I like the Slick SLS wings but I do think they could be improved with the sail cut from the Armstrong XPS - designed to keep tension without bagging out

leepasty
365 posts
14 Dec 2023 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

If you like the Slick sls try the 23 version it's way way better in every way. new slick due in April or the 24 Unit is amazing a big upgrade on the previous Unit and better flagged out than the 23 Slick

Faff
VIC, 1186 posts
14 Dec 2023 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..
If you like the Slick sls try the 23 version it's way way better in every way. new slick due in April or the 24 Unit is amazing a big upgrade on the previous Unit and better flagged out than the 23 Slick

This whole thread is about 23 slicks bagging out badly. If they are "better in every way" for only a handful of sessions before stretching out, then they are worse.

Faff
VIC, 1186 posts
14 Dec 2023 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gregwho said..
I like the Slick SLS wings but I do think they could be improved with the sail cut from the Armstrong XPS - designed to keep tension without bagging out

Needs empirical proof.

leepasty
365 posts
14 Dec 2023 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Faff said..

leepasty said..

This whole thread is about 23 slicks bagging out badly. If they are "better in every way" for only a handful of sessions before stretching out, then they are worse.

There's 1 post about a 23 slick bagging out. in my experience the 23 slick with mod 3 canopy held its shape way better than the slick sls and any of the previous Duotone wings. my 24 units are also holding up really well and I've used the 3.5 & 3m in some crazy winds and I'm 93kg. Guys I know with the Armstrong xps wings look like there canopy's have stretched a bit more than my units but hard to tell as the 24 units are not as tight on leech as previous years

MeonAsh
47 posts
15 Dec 2023 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

Agree - the 24 Unit is awesome, so much better than the 23 version, absolutely love mine. Flags nice, really nice ergonomics, still good low end but better on the high end than the 23 version. I'm not sure why you would buy a Slick right now as the Unit is better and with the long front handle it has all the benefits of a boom without the drawbacks.

Dspace
VIC, 295 posts
15 Dec 2023 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
leepasty said..

Faff said..

leepasty said..

There's 1 post about a 23 slick bagging out. in my experience the 23 slick with mod 3 canopy held its shape way better than the slick sls and any of the previous Duotone wings. my 24 units are also holding up really well and I've used the 3.5 & 3m in some crazy winds and I'm 93kg. Guys I know with the Armstrong xps wings look like there canopy's have stretched a bit more than my units but hard to tell as the 24 units are not as tight on leech as previous years

Lee, are you affiliated with Duotone?

leepasty
365 posts
15 Dec 2023 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dspace said..

leepasty said..

Faff said..

leepasty said..

Lee, are you affiliated with Duotone?

I'm on uk kite team. Pay for my wings but am not saying anything that's not true.
I had the slick sls in 5m it was nice much better than 22 unit but bagged out quick got the 23 unit was good but lacked top end and not super stable flagged. Didn't bag out with mod3 canopy,
got the 23 slick was super good, amazing top end, flagged real well no bagging with mod 3, sizes 5.5 4.5 3.5.
now on the 24 unit and even better than the 23 slick, leech is bit looser to start with amazing low end and top end, super stable on wave. im guessing the slick will also be an improvement but it may be more freestyle than wave focused so I'll prob keep the units. im 93kg and have solely winging for last year due to knee injury and not being able to surf or kite. as such I have used the wings a lot dlab 5.5 normal 4.5 3.5 quiver

Rolavi
16 posts
16 Dec 2023 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

I am always eyeing Alan Cadiz videos to see what's in the works via Duotone on prototypes.

My Slicks asks: pentax/Mod3 materials, new Handles like the on newest units and Ventis. Yes I said no boom. Front handle is basically so long it's become a mini boom now and the angles of both handles work great. Boom strut inflation point option for stiffer strut. Padded airport cap. Thanks.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"DUOTONE Slick 2024 - any rumours yet?" started by riverripper