Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

Lake George - GPS Event 2013

Created by WsurfingSA > 9 months ago, 21 Nov 2012
decrepit
WA, 11887 posts
25 Jan 2013 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

jimbob SA said...

I will be around in the morning, should be able to drive you around and fill you in on the spots and wind directions, also areas to steer clear off,

Thanks Jim Bob,

We're at the Motel tonight, but they are full tomorrow, so we've booked into
Bompas Saturday night. For a while thought we'd have to go to Milicent.

hardie
WA, 4078 posts
26 Jan 2013 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Praying for wind for you guyz!!!! Hope you get it good 70 b4 70 Apparantly the mad french speaking swissman is on his way,, and yes that must've been me at Port Augusta, sorry didnt see you guyz

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
27 Jan 2013 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

Windxtasy said...
I had to laugh when reading the clues for the cyptic crossword in today's Australian.

12 down: Plight of decrepit man seen wandering (11)

Let's hope it is not lack of wind! (Hang on, that's only ten letters)

Anita,
I'd say the answer is Predicament (comes out of "Decrepit man" )

Good luck with some wind guys - wish I could send some of ours your way.

choco
SA, 4003 posts
27 Jan 2013 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

I just created a Facebook page/group called "Lake George GPS Speed Sailing" this will make it a bit easier for people to communicate with each other about where to sail, conditions etc

example of info on page

Lake George = Jimbob

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
27 Jan 2013 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Well, I have been studying the weather charts all morning and I don't like what I see. Looks more like a southerly cold front situation with little chance of a thermal sea breeze effect.
The BOM models don't predict much wind at all.
I'd like to hear Jimbobs take on it.

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
27 Jan 2013 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

spot on Daffy, looks like a SW front to me as well, not all bad though still will be good areas to sail esecially in the morning as bom says 20 to 30, just not the constant SE seabreeze you are hanging out for.
But most of the time these fronts blow through early hours and are over by 8 to 9.
As we have talked about before we won't get proper seabreezes while there is a cyclone of the west just stops the highs forming properly in the bight to give us the southerly airflow,
looks lie w by next weekend things will be back on.

Aus06
SA, 235 posts
29 Jan 2013 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Some photos from Australia Day at Lake George. The forecast 20-30 knots did not eventuate, but a good say's sailing in any case. Cool and wet in the morning, then the sun came out in the arvo...

The rigging scene:

Jacques heads out:

Mal from Sandy Point (I think?)

Red "my boom's making funny noises"?

stringer
WA, 703 posts
29 Jan 2013 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

just wondering what the vehicle requirements are... do you need any particular clearance, 4x4 etc? would a hatchback make it there to the riggin area?

hardie
WA, 4078 posts
29 Jan 2013 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

stringer said...
just wondering what the vehicle requirements are... do you need any particular clearance, 4x4 etc? would a hatchback make it there to the riggin area?

yes ordinary vehicle will make it, but you wouldnt want to take a lowered sports car

decrepit
WA, 11887 posts
29 Jan 2013 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

My commodore is fairly low, (it scrapes going in my drive), just the weeds in the track center scrape on the under body. There area a few very rocky sections, but if you go very slow and pick the high line, you should be OK

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
2 Feb 2013 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there all, been sailing 3 different areas on the lake, with different winds in the last 3 days, I thought I would make just a little recommendation on the fins.

After talking with Jamie I realised that people are not listening.. For the people have not sail here yet and plan to, forget about all your fancy fins, does not matter how strong is the wind you will not pass. Yesterday even with a 40deg rake I got stopped and fall 3 times in my alpha, slowed me down many times. 2 days ago I used the 23Locky 37deg and was collecting weeds, getting stocked, I have Deltas and Slingshots with me and other fancy ones that I cannot use. So for what I see.. my recommendation to you is:

Use 20-21 / min 37, Use 22-23 / min 40, Use 24-25 / min 43

Anything above go for 45, you will enjoy yourself with no frustrations!! The weeds here are very dense, nothing to do with WA stuff we got. The positive thing about the LG weeds they don't destroy your fins, they polish them, yes they do!! I have been looking my fins this morning, they looking good. I am considering hacksawing one of my bigger fins to meet the 45deg requirement, as most my weedie fins are 37,40,43.

If you are low on budget, get yourself a cheapo 45/ rake JP 30 to 36 weedy, and hacksaw it to your need. The other even cheaper I think if you can find one is the yellow and black Select weedie (they look like freeride) Jamie use them and they do a great job and he did good nbs on them, same, hacksaw to needs – a 21-23 for high wind, a 25-28 for medium – lite wind. The things that those 2 fins have in common they have a very large base and a quite thin profile which is perfect for the job.

For the people with budget, I can only think about 1 performing fin which is the Maui Delta weedspeed .. I wish I had one now, I was going to get one from Jasper before I left but I was too busy getting away, I know few guys that use them and they doing great.
Maybe there there is some other ones.. if any someone can make a suggestion!

Happy sailing to all

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
2 Feb 2013 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm.......
Last year on the good days many of us were using 30 degree fins with great success. Maybe it was because of the stronger wind? Once I got over 25-30 knots, any weed I picked up starting seemed to wash off (unless it was a really big clump!).
I did my best speeds with KA 20cm assy which is only around 30 degree rake. I used the Lessacher 22cm Le woo Duo speed rake30 for my PB 1 hour.
The Perkins family used C3 Slingshots last year with great success.
This January, I used a 19cm Slingshot with no problems, although admittedly, the water over most of the weed was deeper than last year.

Anyhow, I would not hack up an otherwise perfectly usable fin just yet. At least until you can hit the lake on a 25-30 knots day.

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
2 Feb 2013 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

sailquik said...
Hmmm.......
Last year on the good days many of us were using 30 degree fins with great success. Maybe it was because of the stronger wind? Once I got over 25-30 knots, any weed I picked up starting seemed to wash off (unless it was a really big clump!).
I did my best speeds with KA 20cm assy which is only around 30 degree rake. I used the Lessacher 22cm Le woo Duo speed rake30 for my PB 1 hour.
The Perkins family used C3 Slingshots last year with great success.
This January, I used a 19cm Slingshot with no problems, although admittedly, the water over most of the weed was deeper than last year.

Anyhow, I would not hack up an otherwise perfectly usable fin just yet. At least until you can hit the lake on a 25-30 knots day.

okay, thats good news then for the small fins, coz with what I used so far wasnt good enough for the condition 15-20knts! maybe the water has dropped since last time you came !, I have been told the wind is shifting the water around, It could depend on the direction maybe!. Also you are talking about the smaller sizes and strong wind.. I realise you would get away better when its stronger (small fin& fly above water). We just need some stronger wind then!! But for the medium to lite wind you would still need more rake... I was trying to include the non so expert sailors in the post too as I seen quite few here the last few days.. I wished I could feel that 25-30 knts, I am dying for it.. lets wait and see... maybe I will not

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
3 Feb 2013 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Sammy I only use the select weedys in my freeride board as they are powerbox, they are only good for allround fun,
for all my pb's and speed on my F2 sxs and missile I use a 45 degree choco weed speed 24, nice solid fin never lets go and great getting back upwind after a run.
Hamma really struggled to get going last week with a 30 degree fin , can still see the look on his face when I planed past him half a dozen times off the end of the spit, he gave me a few hand signals but only one finger seemed to work.
And yes I also have a 30 degree 21 speed fin but choose not to run it when the water is lower like it is now.
You can get away without a full weedy BUT you will have PLENTY of times that will give you the $hits and waste a lot of energy. just isn't worth the hassle to me.
the forcast looks crap at the moment.

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
3 Feb 2013 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

jimbob SA said...
Hey Sammy I only use the select weedys in my freeride board as they are powerbox, they are only good for allround fun,
for all my pb's and speed on my F2 sxs and missile I use a 45 degree choco weed speed 24, nice solid fin never lets go and great getting back upwind after a run.
Hamma really struggled to get going last week with a 30 degree fin , can still see the look on his face when I planed past him half a dozen times off the end of the spit, he gave me a few hand signals but only one finger seemed to work.
And yes I also have a 30 degree 21 speed fin but choose not to run it when the water is lower like it is now.
You can get away without a full weedy BUT you will have PLENTY of times that will give you the $hits and waste a lot of energy. just isn't worth the hassle to me.
the forcast looks crap at the moment.

thank for the backup Jamie.. I wasnt dreaming then, the water has dropped!!! I am on the spot now and seem like with the wet in the last few days the water is up a touch. I still think your select are good with some modifs.. I would use it I have 1 45fin nd will have to do. I am still smiling... with the finger ah ah ah It look like we could get a late 16-18 SE tomorrow.. cross fingers. If its like 2 days ago, I would be happy as

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
3 Feb 2013 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

see you tommorrow arvo Sammy.

sailquik
VIC, 6074 posts
4 Feb 2013 12:42AM
Thumbs Up

OK SamOZ. Sounds like it is wind strength and board-speed thing. Last January we were running through very shallow water with the weed right to the surface.

I do remember Tony W complaining about getting started a few times!

BTW. I have bought myself a nice 40 degree Vector Weed speed as well, just in case...

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
4 Feb 2013 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

So hows the lake looking for feburary?

I have 3 weeks off starting the 10th and nuthing to do cept look for wind

jimbob SA
SA, 992 posts
4 Feb 2013 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Roar the lake is sweet at the moment and will only get more flatter in weeks to come, had a nice seabreeze today and we where on 5.8's but hopefully will have our 30 knot seabreezes back later in the week,
A lot more flatter than when we sailed together in Maui the winter before, I also owe you a barby and beers night as well. I am on holidays at the moment as well.
next good looking forcast for a few days of solid seabreezes there will crew around.

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
5 Feb 2013 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Jamie,

Looks like some pirates will be in the Lake over the weekend. Aharrrrr!

Is that weed growing yet?

I hope the forecast holds too!

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
5 Feb 2013 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone from WA is driving (not flying) this way within the next 2 weeks? If yes can you get in contact with me please.. Thank you

stringer
WA, 703 posts
6 Feb 2013 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

samOZ said...
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone from WA is driving (not flying) this way within the next 2 weeks? If yes can you get in contact with me please.. Thank you

Hey Sammy, I am standing by for a 30knot forecast and then ill fly over but if it doesn't happy for me are you able to bring back a mast for me from one of the SA Speed Demons?

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
6 Feb 2013 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

stringer said...
samOZ said...

Hey Sammy, I am standing by for a 30knot forecast and then ill fly over but if it doesn't happy for me are you able to bring back a mast for me from one of the SA Speed Demons?

Hi Nic, not a problem for a mast, I have room for that.. but nothing bigger as my car is packed to the roof! just let me know who.. etc.. not sure about 30 knts here, but good wind coming this way... about time yeeah

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
6 Feb 2013 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

stringer said...

Hey Nic just get your arse here mate its going to be smoking on Mon, Tues, Wed.. even Sun is looking good!!

Deano
WA, 255 posts
6 Feb 2013 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Sammy you blaming weed for sailing slow again.

Deano

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
7 Feb 2013 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

choco said...
I just created a Facebook page/group called "Lake George GPS Speed Sailing" this will make it a bit easier for people to communicate with each other about where to sail, conditions etc

example of info on page

Lake George = Jimbob

Cool, I've started a Bookface page too : http://bookface.org.uk/index.html

samOZ
WA, 86 posts
8 Feb 2013 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Bono ah ah ah

I thought I put this photo up tooken yesterday from the NTH side of the point in a WNW wind... you can clearly see the line of wind, of weeds.. the wind was everywhere!!! Hard to believe isnt it!? We sailed the STH side which wasnt the same! Have not sailed any glossy stuff yet but who cares still great

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
8 Feb 2013 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

samOZ said...

Nice one Bono ah ah ah

I thought I put this photo up tooken yesterday from the NTH side of the point in a WNW wind... you can clearly see the line of wind, of weeds.. the wind was everywhere!!! Hard to believe isnt it!? We sailed the STH side which wasnt the same! Have not sailed any glossy stuff yet but who cares still great

C3
54 posts
8 Feb 2013 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

So how much wind is actually in the air in that picture with the glassy surface?

Boogie

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   Gps and Speed talk

"Lake George - GPS Event 2013" started by WsurfingSA