Forums > Wing Foiling General

Starboard Wingboard 6'7 + S-Type 2400 OR Fanatic Sky Wing 5'8 + Moses Onal 1100 ?

Created by WST > 9 months ago, 18 Nov 2020
dejavu
812 posts
21 Nov 2020 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

IWB
205 posts
22 Nov 2020 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WST said..
Hi,

I wanted to start Wingfoiling on my lake in light and gusty winds. So winds in about 5 to max 15kn, if it's more wind I will go windsurfing.
I mainly want to do this in winter, so the water temperature is around 4 ?C (it's a deep cold lake). As in these light winds or because of the shape of the lake it's likely that the wind drops completely.

As a wing, I will choose the Slingwing v2 in 6.4

so now it's the board and foil.
I wanted to use the new Starboard wing board in 6'7 and Lite Tech version (carbon is too much) together with the Starbaord S-Type foil 2400

My local dealer now said, the volume of the board is great and is what you need for my 70kg in such conditions, however, the board is too long. all companies going to create smaller boards. that's why he would recommend me the Fanatic Sky Wing 5'8. same volume but shorter.
Based on reviews I have seen in german said that the starboard has a better lift than other boards of the same size. Also, the Starboard has the foil mount a little more forward. The fanatic one looks more back. I tested a windsurf foil from Slingshot and Starboard last year for around 30 min without any foil experience, and as far as I remember I felt better with the Starboard foil and I think it was also more forward then the slingshot.

The second thing is the foil.
I wanted to select a matching foil, so I choose the new Starboard S-Type foils which they say is made for light wind winging. In size 2400 with 82cm aluminum mast.
Again my dealer said he didn't know the Starbaord foil but he uses the same wing and a 5'8 custom board with a Moses Onal 1100 foil. Not on my lake but on a similar lake close by. He said he doubts the Starboard will be too slow. He said he get foiling with this combo in 10 to 12kn. and as the Moses can, get fast, easy lift up and control he would recommend me that for a carbon one.
What I read in german reviews is that Starboard aluminum foil is nearly as stiff as carbon foil just a little heavier and a little slower top speed.

As I wanted to wing foil (wing foil only, we don't have waves for sup foil on the lake :D ) in hopefully even lighter wind (though about 7 8kn)
I think that speed is not the point. Instead to increase time on the water in winter times, easy lift up, and stay up in light wind is most needed. In case I wanted to do wing foiling in stronger winds starting from 14kn on, I thought I still can buy additional smaller front wings for the foil.

What would you recommend and why?

thanks a lot.

I am similar weight, and use the Starboard Ocean 2000/2400 and Stype 2000. I use the foil on the JP Australia 7x28 foil board that i use for sup foiling/ wing foiling and in the rare case wind foiling (more wind foiling on wide foil boards). You would be fine on the 6'7 Starboard foil board which is the same volume as the board I use. If underpowered you will easily be able to wallow back to your starting point which is a bonus in frigid conditions. I have not tried the Stype 2400, but i have tried the Stype 2000 which feels a fraction slower compared to the Starboard Ocean 2000, but has more lift and glide when on a wave. Both offer lots of control in choppy confused conditions. I imagine the Stype 2400 will be like the Stype 2000, but with more lift and slightly slower and slightly less maneuverable , but a lot of control. For learning and foiling in light winds this foil design is ideal. As you advance and want to foil in stronger winds switching out to a front wing like the Stype 2000 is ideal.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Starboard Wingboard 6'7 + S-Type 2400 OR Fanatic Sky Wing 5'8 + Moses Onal 1100 ?" started by WST