Forums > Sailing General

What did you do to your sailing boat today ?

Created by Boatin > 9 months ago, 12 Jun 2013
shaggybaxter
QLD, 1972 posts
27 Jan 2020 5:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Achernar said..

It was nervy, though. I used my most inventive language when a large stink-boat steamed past and pushed a nice big wake towards us. Managed to turn the boat head-on in time and didn't lose the rudder.

This is one of those moments, like when you're holding something really important, have no spare hands, you can see the swell come toward you and just out of arms reach you see the errant , but critical, nuts and bolts you didn't put in a container are about to roll 6 feet and drop off the transom......
As the dog from Footrot Flats used to say..."Now what would Lassie do?"

troubadour
NSW, 192 posts
27 Jan 2020 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

I thought it looked like a Cav 28 transom and rudder fittings but the rudder is a different shape to mine. It's not a J24 rudder is it?

dumminy254
4 posts
27 Jan 2020 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

A sailboat or sailing boat is a boat propelled partly or entirely by sails smaller than a sailing ship Boat Bimini Top Cover. Distinctions in what constitutes a sailing boat and ship vary by region and maritime culture.

Achernar
QLD, 30 posts
1 Feb 2020 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
troubadour said..
I thought it looked like a Cav 28 transom and rudder fittings but the rudder is a different shape to mine. It's not a J24 rudder is it?

troubadour - asked the previous owner who told me that the owner before him and his Dad fitted it as a replacement. Bigger rudder with an extended leading edge to provide more purchase when sailing downwind.

It seems that the "original" rudder is not the original either, because Laurie Davidson's design looked more like a Spitfire Wing. In any case, we are currently preparing the "original" to put it back on the boat. The replacement, big rudder is stuffed. As I had suspected, the timber core was rotten. Some of the gudgeon bolts had sheared, too.

Ramona
NSW, 5450 posts
2 Feb 2020 9:06AM
Thumbs Up

Angle of the blade forward like that indicates it's off a yacht with a slight reverse counter stern. Best to have the blade vertical or slope back a bit with about 10% prebalance.

Ramona
NSW, 5450 posts
2 Feb 2020 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

That added area on the front of the blade, the bit that's ahead of the pivot point is prebalance. It's meant to be there and it makes the steering lighter. To get more grip downwind make the blade longer.

woko
NSW, 582 posts
2 Feb 2020 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Sikaflex fail, not worth a new thread sorta fits here. Last time I left the boat I splashed some vinegar in the hand basin to clean it upon return the sikaflex that I bedded the basin waste in has turned into an expanding mass of goo !

cisco
QLD, 11535 posts
2 Feb 2020 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

So if you want to remove Sikaflex, vinegar is the go??

woko
NSW, 582 posts
11 Feb 2020 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Out of interest I exposed some sikaflex plugs to a variety of substances bleach, peroxide, petrol, metho, a strong alkaline cleaner, phosphoric acid and vinegar. The petrol and to a lesser degree metho softened it no supprize there, none of the others had any effect other than maybe a little cleaning but the vinegars effect was obvious.

Cabron
NSW, 281 posts
14 Feb 2020 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

New Toy added, been looking at Navionics Sonarchart Live and thinking about it. Was originally going to get a Yaktalk, but then realised I had all ST & STNG data in Opencpn as NMEA0183 so why not just output it to Wifi?
First tests using the mini PC Hotspot didn't work, only some PC can Hotspot without a internet connection, mine being one that can't.
Powered up a spare modem router I had, a little fluffing around with IP/UDP/TCP/Ports etc and suddenly I have a depth display on IPad Navionics, AIS(which used to come from wifi on dAISy, and GPS... so I can turn off GPS on IPad to save battery...all very simple and cool not only to have depth on phone/IPad but now survey the depth and modify my charts on Navionics app live and recorded... wish I could reverse it and update charts on Opencpn .... Anyway if you use O and Navionics App, it's easy, probably easier on a MFD and Tablet, or if you didn't have a PC Nav station, or MFD... then a Yak could send NMEA0183 direct to IPad Navionics. Now need Navionics to include other NMEA data, and control for Autopilot!!!! One day..

Ramona
NSW, 5450 posts
15 Feb 2020 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

I was over on the West coast of SA when we had the heavy rain and flooding on the Shoalhaven River. The flooding brought down all the burnt logs and trees from the recent fires. Unfortunately at the same time, we had very high tides and the results were 5 moorings moved down the river from the drag caused by the trees. Interestingly we had an Amel 54 drag her mooring up the river against the flood which is a perfect demonstration of the power of a rising tide.
My boats on the right. The Van de Stadt 30 with the expensive mast was dragged down onto mine. Fortunately, my mate and other friends were on hand to fit fenders. Still getting debris on the moorings and the smell of burnt ash is unpleasant.

oldboyracer
NSW, 246 posts
Sunday , 23 Feb 2020 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Not mine ,but for 40 years I've been working on her . She was getting a bit worse for wear so my mate decided to spruce her up a bit ,of course I offered my time ,I learnt to sail on this boat , my kids sailed on this boat ,was good to see her looking loved again ready for the next 40 years , lots more work to do ,but worth it. Currently 60 years old .

boty
QLD, 566 posts
Monday , 24 Feb 2020 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldboyracer said..
Not mine ,but for 40 years I've been working on her . She was getting a bit worse for wear so my mate decided to spruce her up a bit ,of course I offered my time ,I learnt to sail on this boat , my kids sailed on this boat ,was good to see her looking loved again ready for the next 40 years , lots more work to do ,but worth it. Currently 60 years old .

wow that's a lot of non skid to grind back

twodogs1969
NSW, 953 posts
Monday , 24 Feb 2020 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
oldboyracer said..

We're you one of the guys working on it Saturday?

oldboyracer
NSW, 246 posts
Monday , 24 Feb 2020 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

That wasn't nonskid ,just 60 years of paint. Yep I was one of the victims on Saturday , I kept telling the owner " im sure that boat is short on crew I'm just going to check "

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"What did you do to your sailing boat today ?" started by Boatin